How to change case of text in Excel?
This article is going to talk about the methods you can apply for changing text case easily in Excel.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring Back Old Look to Office 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Office Tab: Bring Tabbed Editing and Browsing Features to Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 8/9/10.
Microsoft Excel provides following three worksheet functions for changing text case:
LOWER case: Converts all uppercase letters in a text string to lowercase.
UPPER case: Converts all lowercase letters in a text string to uppercase.
PROPER case: Capitalizes the first letter in a text string and converts all other letters to lowercase letters (For example, i am jay > I Am Jay).
Supposing you need to change the case of following existing text in a worksheet:
To change all the text case to lower case, please do as follows:
1. In an adjacent blank cell, such as cell C1, type this formula =LOWER(A1). See screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and select cell C1, and then drag the fill handle over to the cell that you want to contain this formula. And all the text case has been converted to lower case. See screenshot:
3. As they are formulas, when you copy them to other place, please paste them as values.
Notes: 1. To change all the text case to upper case, please enter this formula = UPPER(A1).
2. To change all the text case to proper case, please enter this formula =PROPER(A1).
To use the Excel functions for changing text case may be a little bit complicated, but with Kutools for Excel’s Change Case utility, there are more functions you can use to change the text case.
You can easily change text case with Change Case tool of Kutools for Excel, with this tool, you can do following options:
- Change any text case to upper case;
- Change any text case to lower case;
- Change any text case to proper case;
- Change any text case to tOGGLE cASE;
- Change any text case to sentence case;
Sentence case: the first word in every sentence is capitalized, and all other letters will be converted to lower case. Sentences are deemed to start after full stops, exclamation marks, colons, and question marks (. ! : ?) (For example: I AM JAY. > I am jay.).
tOGGLE cASE: all UPPERCASE characters are converted to lowercase and vice-versa (for example: eXCeL > ExcEl).
After installing Kutools for Excel, please apply this utility with following steps:
1. Select the range cells that you want to change the case.
2. Click Kutools > Text Tools > Change Case, see screenshot:
3. In the Change Case dialog box, specify the type of text case you want to be changed from Change type option, at the same time, you can preview the results from the Preview Pane. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply button. And the text case of the selected cells has been converted to the case type as you need. (click OK button will close the dialog box and apply the operation; but click Apply button will only apply the operation without closing the dialog box)
To know more about this feature, please click Change Case.
- Change text strings to sentence case
- Change text strings to uppercases
- Change uppercase to lowercase
- Change uppercase to proper or title case