How to change American date format in Excel?
Different country has different date format. Maybe you are a staff of a multinational corporation in America, and you may receive some spreadsheets from China or other countries, you find there are some date formats that you are not accustomed to using it. What should you do? Today, I will introduce you some ways to solve it by changing other date formats to American date formats in Excel.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
With this Format Cells function, you can quickly change other date formats to America date format.
1. Select the range you want to change date format, then right-click and choose Format Cells from the context menu. See screenshot:
2. In the Format Cells dialog box:
- Select the Number tab.
- Choose Date from the category list.
- Specify which country’s date formats you want to use from Locale (location) drop down list.
- Select the date format from Type list. See Screenshot:
3. Click OK. It will apply the date format to the range. See screenshots:
You can use a formula to convert the date format according to following steps:
1. In a blank cell, input the formula =TEXT(A1, "mm/dd/yyyy"), in this case in cell B1, see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and select cell B1, drag the fill handle across to the range that you want to use, and you will get a new column date formats. See screenshot:
As they are formulas, you need to copy and paste them as values.
With the Apply Date Formatting utility, you can quickly apply many different date formats.
1. Select the range you want to change date formats in your worksheet.
2. Click Kutools > Format Tools > Apply Date Formatting, see screenshot:
3. In the Apply Date Formatting dialog box, choose the proper date format you need. See screenshot:
4. Click OK or Apply, it will apply the date formats to the range.
With this tool, you can interchange many date formats, such as from American date formats to Chinese date formats, from European date formats to American date formats, and so on.
- Change multiple dates to day of week
- Convert date to weekday name or month name
- Remove time from date
- Remove year from date
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...