How to select cells randomly in Excel?
Supposing you have a column of values (A1: A15) in a worksheet, and now you need to select 5 random cells of them, how could you deal with this? In this article, I will show you some tricks to select cells randomly in Excel.
Classic Menu for Office: brings back classic menus to Office 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Office Tab: brings tabbed interface to Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
As the following screenshot shows, you have a range of data from A1 to A15, the Rand and Index formula can help you display the random cells in a new column. Please do as follows:
1. In the adjacent cell such as B1, enter the formula =RAND(), and press the Enter key, then copy the formula to the cell B15. And the random values will be filled with the cells. See screenshot:
2. Then in the next cell over, in this case cell C1, enter the formula =INDEX($A$1:$A$15,RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$15)).
3. Then press Enter key, and select the cell C1, drag the fill handle to cover as many cells as desired selections. And random 5 cells of range A1:A15 have been displayed in the column C. See screenshot:
The following VBA code also can help you to display random cells that you need.
1. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following function into the Module:
Function RandomSelection(aRng As Range) 'Update20131113 Dim index As Integer Randomize index = Int(aRng.Count * Rnd + 1) RandomSelection = aRng.Cells(index).Value End Function
2. Then close the module window, and enter this function =RandomSelection($A$1:$A$15) in the cell B1. See screenshot:
3. Press Enter key, and a random value of A1:A15 has been displayed in column B. And then drag the fill handle to cover as many cells as desired selections.
The above two methods can display the random cell values in a new column, and they are only applied for a single column range, not work for a range of cells. Kutools for Excel's Sort Range Randomly tool can help you select cells randomly in an original range conveniently.
With this Sort Range Randomly utility, you can quickly select the random cells, rows and columns that you need. Do as following steps:
1. Select the range that you want to use.
2. Apply the utility by clicking Kutools > Range Converter > Sort Range Randomly, see screenshot:
3. In the Sort Range Randomly dialog box, click Select button, and enter the number of the cells that you want to select, then check the Select Type you need. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply, and random 10 cells have been selected in the original range. See screenshot:
The Sort Range Randomly utility also can help you rearrange the selected cells in random order. Click to know more about this function.