How to divide a range of cells by a number in Excel?
Sometimes, we may need to modify a range of cells in Excel quickly. For example, I have a range of cells which containing the prices of a group of products, and I want to divide all the prices by 2, and now here comes the question, how can I quickly divide a range of cells by a number?
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
For example, I will divide all the cells by a number 15, using Paste Special function of Excel, you can accomplish this task with the following steps:
1. Insert the number 15 into an empty cell and copy it.
2. Highlight the range that you want to divide the number 15. Then right-click, choose Paste Special from the menu.
3. In the Paste Special dialog box, click All option from Paste, and click Divide option from Operation.
4. Then click OK. And delete the number 15.
5. The range of cells has been divided by 15. See screenshots:
With the VBA code, you can also divide a range cells by a number automatically.
1. Select the range you want it to be divided by a number.
2. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will display, click Insert > Module, and then input the following code in the Module:
VBA: Divide a range of cells by a number.
Sub DivisionNum() 'Updateby20140128 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim xNum As Integer On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) xNum = Application.InputBox("Division num", xTitleId, Type:=1) For Each Rng In WorkRng Rng.Value = Rng.Value / xNum Next End Sub
3. Then click button to run the code. And a dialog is displayed for selecting a range to work. See screenshot:
4. Click Ok, and type the divide number in another pop-up dialog, see screenshot:
5. Click Ok, and the numbers in the selected range are divided by 15.
Perhaps the VBA code is somewhat difficult for you, is there an easy and quick method to deal with this work?
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Highlight the range numbers that you want to be divided.
2. Click Kutools > More > Operation Tools, see screenshot:
3. In the Operation Tools dialog box, select Division from Operation, input the number 15 in the Operand box. And you can see the results from the Preview Pane. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply.
Note: If you want to create formulas as well, please check Create formulas option. If the selected cells include formulas, and you don’t want to divide the calculated results of the formula, please check Skip formula cells option.
- Change values in a cell range
- Add values to multiple cells
- Do exponential calculation to a range of cells
- Multiply a range cells by a number
- Round a range of cells
- Subtract a number from a range of cells in excel
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...