How to multiply a range cells by a number in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of numbers, and now you want to multiply them by a number 8.7, do you have any effective and quick methods to deal with this task?
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Excel provides a quick way to apply a mathematical operation on a range of cells. You can use the Paste Special function to multiply a range of cells by a number as follows:
1. Input the number 8.7 into a blank cell and copy it.
2. Select the range that you want to multiply a value, then right-click, and choose Paste Special… from the context menu.
3. In the Paste Special dialog box, click All option from Paste, and click Multiply from Operation. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. And the selected range will be multiplied by the number 8.7.
Also you can write VBA code to multiply a value to a range cells, please do as follows:
1. Highlight the range that you want to multiply a value.
2. Then click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will appear, click Insert > Module, and then input the following code:
VBA: to multiply a range cells by a number in Excel.
Public Sub Convert()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Not IsError(Cell) Then Cell = Cell *8.7
3. Then click button to run the code.
And in the above code, you can change the 8.7 to any other numbers you want.
Operations Tools of Kutools for Excel can quickly apply various kinds of mathematical operations to a range of cells without using a formula. You can use it to multiply a range of cells by a number as follows.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Select the range that you want to multiply a value.
2. Click Kutools > More > Operation Tools, see screenshot:
3. In the Operation Tools dialog box, choose Multiplication from Operation, and enter the number 8.7 into the Operand box. And you can see the results from the Preview Pane. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply, and the range numbers will be replaced by the new numbers.
Note: If you want to create formulas as well, you can check Create formulas option. If the selected cells include formulas, and you don’t want to multiply the calculated results of formulas, please check Skip formula cells option.
If you want to know more about this feature, please visit this Operation Tools.
- Change values in a cell range
- Add values to multiple cells
- Divide a range of cells by a number
- Do exponential calculation to a range of cells
- Round a range of cells
- Subtract a number from a range of cells in excel
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...