How to multiply a range cells by a number in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of numbers, and now you want to multiply them by a number 8.7, do you have any effective and quick methods to deal with this task?
In general, we need to get the latest exchange rate between the two specified currencies, and then multiply the latest exchange rate to convert the original currency to the given currency. But, with Kutools for Excel's Currencies Conversion utility, it can automatically multiplying the latest exchange rate for easily batch converting currencies in Excel. See screenshot:
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Excel provides a quick way to apply a mathematical operation on a range of cells. You can use the Paste Special function to multiply a range of cells by a number as follows:
1. Input the number 8.7 into a blank cell and copy it.
2. Select the range that you want to multiply a value, then right-click, and choose Paste Special… from the context menu.
3. In the Paste Special dialog box, click All option from Paste, and click Multiply from Operation. See the second screenshot above:
4. Click OK. And the selected range will be multiplied by the number 8.7.
Also you can write VBA code to multiply a value to a range cells, please do as follows:
1. Highlight the range that you want to multiply a value.
2. Then click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will appear, click Insert > Module, and then input the following code:
VBA: to multiply a range cells by a number in Excel.
Public Sub Convert() Dim Cell As Range For Each Cell In Selection If Not IsError(Cell) Then Cell = Cell * 8.7 Next Cell End Sub
3. Then click button to run the code.
And in the above code, you can change the 8.7 to any other numbers you want.
Operations Tools of Kutools for Excel can quickly apply various kinds of mathematical operations to a range of cells without using a formula. You can use it to multiply a range of cells by a number as follows.
Kutools for Excel - Combines More Than 120 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Select the range that you want to multiply a value, and click Kutools > More > Operation Tools, see screenshot:
2. In the Operation Tools dialog box, choose Multiplication from Operation, and enter the number 8.7 into the Operand box. And you can see the results from the Preview Pane. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply, and the range numbers will be replaced by the new numbers.
Note: If you want to create formulas as well, you can check Create formulas option. If the selected cells include formulas, and you don’t want to multiply the calculated results of formulas, please check Skip formula cells option.
For example you have a time of 2:23:42, you can convert this time to hours by multiplying 24 (or multiplying 1440 to minutes, multiplying 86400 to seconds; in other words, we can apply the formula =F2*24 for converting the time to hours, =F2*1440 to minutes, =F2*86400 to seconds), and then change the formula cell to Number format. But, with Kutools for Excel’s Convert Time utility, you can one click to batch convert multiple time data to hours/minutes/seconds only in Excel. See screenshot:
- Change values in a cell range
- Add values to multiple cells
- Divide a range of cells by a number
- Do exponential calculation to a range of cells
- Round a range of cells
- Subtract a number from a range of cells in excel
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...