How to select every nth column in Excel?
For example, you have a large worksheet with hundreds of columns of data. And now, you need to copy every 3rd column data and paste them to another new worksheet. It will be time-consuming to select every nth column one by one, and is there any easy way to do it?
Classic Menu for Office: Bring Back Old Look to Office 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Office Tab: Bring Tabbed Editing and Browsing Features to Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 8/9/10.
It seems no simple way except VBA code to solve this problem. Please do as the following steps:
1. Highlight the range that you want to select every nth column.
2.Click Developer > Visual Basic or press Alt+F11, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module to input the following code into the Module:
Dim rangeString As String
Dim columnLetter As String
Dim i As Long
Dim firstCol, lastCol As Long
firstCol = Selection.Column
lastCol = Selection.Columns.Count + firstCol - 1
Dim stepSize As Long
Dim stepStr As String
On Error GoTo NumberError
stepStr = InputBox("Enter column interval")
stepSize = stepStr
On Error GoTo 0
For i = firstCol To lastCol Step stepSize
columnLetter = Chr(i + 65 - 1)
rangeString = rangeString & "," & columnLetter & ":" & columnLetter
rangeString = Mid(rangeString, 2)
MsgBox "You entered: " & stepStr & vbCrLf & "You must enter a valid number"
3. Then click button to run the code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you enter the number of intervals. In this case, enter 3 in the box. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Now it selects every 3rd column in the selection. See screenshot:
Note: You can specify the number in the Microsoft Excel dialog to meet your need.
But sometimes, you need to select two columns with two intervals. The above code can not work, how should you do?
With Kutools for Excel, you can select specific number of columns at specific intervals. Please do as the following steps:
1.Click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Interval Rows/Columns,see screenshot:
2. A Select Interval Rows/Columns dialog box will appear. Then click button to select the range you need, choose Columns from Select section, and specify the number you want in the Interval of and Columns dropdown list, here we select two columns in every 3td columns. See screenshot:
3.Click OK. It will select two columns with two intervals in the selection. See screenshot:
Note: If you check Select entire columns in the popup dialog, it will select the entire columns in the sheet. See screenshot:
- Select every other or nth row in Excel
- Copy every other row
- Delete every other row
- Hide every other row