How to select every nth column in Excel?
For example, you have a large worksheet with hundreds of columns of data. And now, you need to copy every 3rd column data and paste them to another new worksheet. It will be time-consuming to select every nth column one by one, and is there any easy way to do it?
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
It seems no simple way except VBA code to solve this problem. Please do as the following steps:
1. Highlight the range that you want to select every nth column.
2.Click Developer > Visual Basic or press Alt+F11, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module to input the following code into the Module:
Sub EveryOtherColumn() 'Updateby20140314 Dim rng As Range Dim InputRng As Range Dim OutRng As Range Dim xInterval As Integer xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8) xInterval = Application.InputBox("Enter column interval", xTitleId, Type:=1) For i = 1 To InputRng.Columns.Count Step xInterval + 1 Set rng = InputRng.Cells(1, i) If OutRng Is Nothing Then Set OutRng = rng Else Set OutRng = Application.Union(OutRng, rng) End If Next OutRng.EntireColumn.Select End Sub
3. Then click button to run the code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you to select a range to work with. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, and then enter the number of intervals in the another pop out dialog. In this case, enter 3 in the box. See screenshot:
5. Click OK. Now it selects every 3rd column in the selection. See screenshot:
Note: You can specify the number in the second KutoolsforExcel dialog to meet your need.
But sometimes, you need to select two columns with two intervals. The above code can not work, how should you do?
With Kutools for Excel, you can select specific number of columns at specific intervals. Please do as the following steps:
1.Click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Interval Rows/Columns,see screenshot:
2. A Select Interval Rows/Columns dialog box will appear. Then click button to select the range you need, choose Columns from Select section, and specify the number you want in the Interval of and Columns dropdown list, here we select two columns in every 3td columns. See screenshot:
3.Click OK. It will select two columns with two intervals in the selection. See screenshot:
Note: If you check Select entire columns in the popup dialog, it will select the entire columns in the sheet. See screenshot:
- Select every other or nth row in Excel
- Copy every other row
- Delete every other row
- Hide every other row
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...