How to find duplicate values in two columns in Excel?
When we use a worksheet, sometimes we need to compare two columns and find the same values. For example, I have two long columns of student names, and now, I want to compare them and find out the same names. If I compare them cell by cell, it will be tiresome and waste a lot of time. Are there any quick ways to finish this task?
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Look at the following screenshot, I have column A (A2:A15) and column C (C2:C13) which contain some duplicate names.
By using a formula, we can compare two columns and display the duplicate values. Please do with the following steps:
1. In cell B2, input this formula: =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A2,$C$2:$C$13,0)),"",A2).
Note: In the above formula: A2 is the column which you want to be compared. $C$2:$C$13 is the range that you want to be compared with. You can change the variables for what you are using.
2. Press the Enter key. Select cell B2, and then drag the fill handle over cell B15. And all of the duplicate names will be displayed in column B. See screenshot:
The following VBA code can also help you to find out the duplicate values between two columns.
1. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following code into the Module:
VBA code: find duplicates from two columns
Sub Compare() Dim Range1 As Range, Range2 As Range, Rng1 As Range, Rng2 As Range, outRng As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set Range1 = Application.Selection Set Range1 = Application.InputBox("Range1 :", xTitleId, Range1.Address, Type:=8) Set Range2 = Application.InputBox("Range2:", xTitleId, Type:=8) Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each Rng1 In Range1 xValue = Rng1.Value For Each Rng2 In Range2 If xValue = Rng2.Value Then If outRng Is Nothing Then Set outRng = Rng1 Else Set outRng = Application.Union(outRng, Rng1) End If End If Next Next outRng.Select Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
2. Click button to execute the code, in the popped out box select Range 1 that you want to compare.
3. Click OK and go on selecting Range 2 that you will be compared with.
4. Then click OK, and the duplicate values both in column A and column C have been selected in column A.
Note: If you want to select the duplicates from column C, you just need to swap the two selected columns.
With the help of Kutools for Excel, you can find the duplicate values quickly and comfortably.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please click Kutools > Compare Ranges.
1. In the Compare Ranges dialog box, click the first button to select the source column to be compared. And click the second button to select the column you are compared with. Then choose Same Values from Rules section. See screenshot:
2. Then click OK, and the same values both in column A and column B have been selected in column A.
With this utility, you can also find the different values between two columns.
- My data has headers: If the data you are compared has headers, you can check this option, and the headers will not be compared.
- Select entire rows: With this option, the entire rows which contain the same values will be selected.
- The two comparing ranges must contain the same number of columns.
- If you want to select the duplicates from column C, you just need to swap the two selected columns.
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...