How to quickly combine the first and last names in one cell in Excel?
Says you have a name roster with listing first names and last names separately in two columns, now you want to create a full name list by combining the two columns. This article is going to show you some quick tricks to combine the first and last names in Excel.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Supposing you have a name roster as the left screenshot shows, and you need to get a full name roster as right screenshot shows:
There are two functions that can combine the first and last names into one cell quickly.
1. =Concatenate(A2, " ",B2)
Step 1: In a blank cell, such as C2, enter the formulas of =Concatenate(A2, " ",B2), see screenshot:
Step 2: Press Enter key and click the Cell C2, then drag the fill handle to copy the formulas across the range that you want to fill. Then you will get a single full name column with combining the first name column and last name column.
2. =A2&" "&B2
You can use the formulas of =A2&" "&B2 with the same steps as above to get a full name roster by combining first name column and last name column.
With the Kutools for Excel's Combine tool, you can quickly combine content from multiple columns (or rows) into one column (or row) without losing original data.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 120 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Get it Now.
Step 1: Select the range you will work with.
Step 2: Click Kutools > Combine, see screenshot:
Step 3: In Combine Columns & Rows dialog box, specify the settings as following:
- Check the Based on row option in Merge Selected cells section;
- Check the Space option in Specify a separator section;
- Specify the Options of the combined result you need, you can keep the contents, delete the contents or merge the contents of the combined cells.
Step 4: Then click OK or Apply, you will get the full name roster in the original first name column, as follows screenshot shows:
But in some case, when you have a single column with first name and last name in each cell, maybe now you want to split them to two cells, one includes first name, and another includes last name as below screenshot shown:
In this case, you can use Kutools for Excel’s Split Names utility to quickly split names into cells.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, do as below steps:
1. Select the column of names, and click Kutools > Text > Split Names. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, check the options as you need, if there are some middle names in your list, you can check the Middle name option, too. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok and select a single cell to put the result.
4. Click OK. Now the selected names have been split into two columns and one column with first name and another with last name separately.
- Merge cells (combine cells contents) without losing data
- Merge rows without losing data
- Merge columns without losing data
- Split full name to first and last name
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...