How to remove duplicates and replace with blank cells in Excel?
Normally when you apply Remove Duplicates command in Excel, it removes the entire duplicate rows. But sometimes, you want the blank cells to replace the duplicate values, in this situation, the Remove Duplicate command will not work. This article is going to guide you remove duplicates and replace with blank cells in Excel.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
If there are some duplicate data in a range, the following two formulas will guide you to remove all duplicates and leave blank cells in the range. Please do as follows:
1. In the adjacent blank cell, in the case, in cell D2, enter the formula =IF(A2="","",IF(COUNTIF($A2:A15,A2)=1,A2,"")). See screenshot:
2. Press Enter key, and click cell D2, and then drag the fill handle across to the range that you want to contain this formula. And the remaining values will keep the last item of the duplicates, others have been removed and leave blank cells. See screenshots:
3. As they are formulas, when you want to copy them, please paste as values.
Tip: If you need to replace all the duplicate values with blank cells and only keep the unique values, the following formula can help you: =IF(A2="", "", IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A$15,A2)>1,"",A2)), and then you will get the following results:
Note: You can replace cell references in above two formulas according to your case.
The Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility of Kutools for Excel can help you quickly select the duplicate values in a range. On the other hand, with this utility, you can also compare two ranges, and select all duplicates in one range at once.
1. Select the range that you want to apply this utility.
2. Click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, select Duplicates (Except 1 st one) or All duplicates (Including 1 st one) as you need. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK, if you select Duplicates (Except 1 st one) option, the duplicate values have been selected which not contain the values appear for the first time. And then press the Delete key to remove them. See screenshots:
5. If you select All duplicates (Including 1 st one) option, all the duplicate values which contain the values appear for the first time, and only leave the unique values. And then press the Delete key to remove them. See screenshots:
Note: Select entire rows: With this option, the entire rows which contain the same values will be selected.
- Find unique values between two columns
- Find duplicate values in two columns
- Filter unique records from selected column
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...