How to delete multiple empty columns quickly in Excel?
Sometimes when you import data to Microsoft Excel from some source, such as web page, CSV, text, etc., there may be many empty columns with it. It must be time-consuming to delete each empty column one by one. Therefore, some of us search for easy ways to solve this problem. This article collects some tricky tips to help you delete multiple empty columns quickly.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring Back Old Look to Office 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Office Tab: Bring Tabbed Editing and Browsing Features to Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 8/9/10.
The Excel’s Go To Special Command can help you quickly select the multiple blank columns, and then you can delete them at once. You can do as the following steps:
1. Select the range containing the blank columns that you want to remove.
2. Click Home > Find & Select > Go To Special. See screenshot:
3. In the Go To Special dialog box, check the Blanks option.
4. And then click OK, all of the blank columns of the selected range are highlighted.
5. Then click Home > Delete > Delete Sheet Columns, the blank rows have been deleted from the selected range. See screenshots:
If you'd like to use VBA macro, things goes much easier. Here are two VBA macros for you.
1. Delete empty columns in selection
Step 1: Select the range that you will work with.
Step 2: Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Step 3: Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA for deleting columns in selection
first = Selection.Column
last = Selection.Columns(Selection.Columns.Count).Column
For i = last To first Step -1
If WorksheetFunction.CountBlank(ActiveSheet.Columns(i)) = 1048576 Then
Step 4: Press the F5 key to run this macro. Then all empty columns in the selection are removed.
2. Delete empty columns in the whole using working area
Step 1: Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Step 2: Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
' Deletes all empty columns on the active worksheet
Dim iCol As Integer
For iCol = .Column + .Columns.Count - 1 To 1 Step -1
If IsEmpty(Cells(65536, iCol)) And IsEmpty(Cells(1, iCol)) Then
If Cells(65536, iCol).End(xlUp).Row = 1 Then Columns(iCol).Delete
Step 3: Press the F5 key to run this macro. Then all columns in the active worksheet are removed.
The Delete Rows & Columns utility of Kutools for Excel can help you quickly remove multiple empty rows or columns at once.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Click Kutools > Delete Tools > Delete Rows & Columns, see screenshot:
2. In the Delete Rows & Columns dialog box, specify the scope that you want to apply the operation from Look in drop down list. (If you choose In Selected Range, you must select a range that you want to use first.) And then check Columns under Delete type. And select Blank columns from Detailed type. See screenshot:
3. Then click OK. And the blank columns have been deleted from the selected range. See screenshots:
To know more about this feature, please visit the Delete Rows & Columns function.