How to insert a radio button or option button in Excel?
Sometimes you may see a group of predefined options with circle holes allowing you to choose one of them, and the choice is exclusive. They are radio buttons or option buttons. It is quite useful with them to select one of a series of size as Small, Medium, and Large, or a series of color as Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, …etc.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
2. Click the Insert button, and select the Option Button, see the following screen shot:
3. Move mouse on working area, and draw a radio button.
Repeat the Step 2 and Step 3, and insert as many radio buttons as you need.
4. Right click one of Option Buttons, and click the Edit Text item from context menu.
5. Then the text above selected option button is editable, type a new name for the selected radio button. And rename other radio buttons based on your needs.
6. After renaming the option buttons, you can also format them as you want. Right click one of radio buttons, and click the Format Control item from the context menu, see the screen shot:
7. In the Format Control dialog box, change the formatting styles of each radio button. See the following screen shot:
By default, the Developer Tab is hidden from Ribbon in Excel 2007 and Excel 2010. You can follow these steps to show it on the Ribbon.
Show Developer Tab in Excel 2010
- Step 1: In Excel 2010, click the File >> Options >> Customize Ribbon, see the following screen shot.
- Step 2: In the right side, check the Developer option.
- Step 3: Click OK.
Step 1: click the Office button >> Excel Options.
Step 2: Click the Popular button in the right bar, and check the Show Developer tab in the Ribbon option in the Top options for working with Excel section.
Step 3: Click OK.
If you want to insert multiple radio buttons to a range of cells, the above method will be somewhat troublesome. If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Batch Insert Option Button feature, you can quickly insert the options buttons to a range of blank cells or cells with data.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Select a range of cells that you want to insert the option buttons.
2. Click Kutools > Insert Tools > Batch Insert Option Button, see screenshot:
3. And then your selected range have been filled with the option buttons at once as following screenshots shown:
|Insert option button to blank cells||Insert option button to cells with data|
To know more about this feature, please click Batch Insert Option Button.
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...