How to quickly hide cell contents in Excel?
When we operate a worksheet, sometimes there are some important data which you don't want others to see. In this case, you may need to set some cell contents to be invisible. Please apply the following steps to hide cell contents in Excel.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
1. Select the range cells that you want to hide the cell values.
2. Then click Home > Format > Format Cells…, see screenshot:
3. And a Format Cells dialog box will display, click Number on the top ribbon, and then click Custom in the Category list, in the Type box, please enter ";;;" (three semicolons). See screenshot:
4. Then click OK. And the cell contents you selected have been hidden.
Notes: 1.The selected cells appear blank on the worksheet, but a value appears in the formula bar if you click one of the cells.
2. The hidden cell values can be removed when you select and delete them. And they are also can be changed.
If you want to display the hidden values, click General in the Category list to apply the default number format.
You may notice that even you have hidden the cell content, but the cell content will display in the formula bar when you click these cells. But some users may want to prevent others from viewing the cell contents from both cells and formula bars, how to get it done? The following method will solve this problem easily.
In addition to hide cell content and displaying noting in the selected cell, we can also hide the cell contents and display randomly strings with Kutools for Excel’s Encrypt Cells utility.
1. Select the cells whose contents you will hide, and click Enterprise > Encrypt Cells.
2. In the popping up Encrypt Cells dialog box, type password in both Password box and Confirm box, and then click the Ok button.
Then you will see all cell contents in the selected range are replaced by random strings. See screen shot below:
(1) When clicking the cells with hidden cell contents, you will not view the cell contents in the formula bar too.
(2) You can restore the hidden cell contents with selecting these cells, clicking Enterprise > Decrypt Cells, and entering your specified password.
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...