How to lock and protect formulas in Excel?
When you create a worksheet, sometimes you need to use some formulas, and you don’t want other users to change, edit or delete the formulas. The easiest and most common way of preventing people from playing with your formulas is to lock and protect cells which contain formulas in your worksheet. Please go to lock and protect the formulas as follows:
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
By default, all cells on a worksheet are locked, so you must unlock all of the cells first.
1. Select the whole worksheet with Ctrl + A, and right click, choose Format Cells from the context menu.
2. And a Format Cells dialog box will pop out. Click Protection, and unchecked the Locked option. Click OK. The whole worksheet has been unlocked.
3. Then click Home > Find & Select > Go To Special, and a Go To Special dialog box will appear. Check Formulas from Select option, and then click OK. See screenshot:
4. All of the cells which contain formulas will be selected.
5. Then go to lock the select cells. Right click on the selected cells, and choose Format Cells from the context menu, and a Format Cells dialog box will display. Click Protection, check the Locked checkbox. See screenshot:
6. And then click Review > Protect Sheet, and a Protect Sheet dialog box will pop out, you can enter the password in the Passwordto unprotect sheet box. See screenshot:
7. Then click OK. And another Confirm Password dialog box will appear. Reenter your password. And click OK.
And then all cells which contain formulas have been locked and protected. In this case, you cannot modify the formulas, but you can edit other cells.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, plese do with below steps:
1. Click Enterprise > Worksheet Design to enable the Design group. See screenshot:
2. Then click Highlight Formulas to highlight all formula cells. See screenshot:
3.Select all the highlighted cells and click Selection Lock to lock the formulas. And there is a dialog pops out to remind you that the fomulas cannot lock until protect the sheet. See screenshots:
4. Now click Protect Sheet to type the password to protect the sheet. See screenshots:
1. Now the formulas are locked and protected, and you can click Close Design to disable the Design tab.
2. If you want to unprotect the sheet, you just need to click Worksheet Design > Unprotect Sheet.
In Worksheet Design group, you can highlight unlock cell, name range and so on. Click here to free install Kutools for Excel.
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...