How to prevent duplicate entries in a column in Excel?
As we all known, Data Validation is a very useful feature in Excel, you can use it to create drop down list in a cell and limit the values user can enter. But sometimes you may want to prevent users from entering duplicate values in a range of worksheet. How could you avoid duplicate entries in Excel?
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
For example, I am entering identify card number into a range of cells (A1:A20), and I want to make sure all item numbers entered in range A1:A20 are unique. To prevent duplicates, follow these steps:
1. Select the range of cells that will contain the item numbers.
2. Go to Data > Data Validation > Data Validation. See screenshot:
3. And a Data Validation dialog box will display. Click the Settings tab, then click drop down list under Allow, choose Custom, and then enter this formula “=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$20,A1)=1” into the Formula box. See screenshot:
4. And then click Error Alert tab, under the Title box, enter “Duplicate Entry”, and enter the proper message in the Error message box, such as “The value was already entered. All Item Numbers must be unique. Please try again.”
5. Click OK to finish it.
Now when you enter a duplicate number, Excel will prevent the entry and alert the user with an error message, it will show up like this:
It is somewhat difficult for us to use Data Validation function to prevent duplicate entries, now I will introduce you an easy and quick way to solve this task.
1. Select the range that you want to prevent duplicate entries.
2. Click Kutools > Prevent Duplicate Entries, see screenshot:
Now when you enter the same data with the first data in the range, you will get the following warning:
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...