How to limit characters length in a cell in Excel?
Sometimes you may want to limit how many characters a user can input to a cell. For example, you want to limit up to 10 characters can be inputted in a cell. This tutorial will shows you the details to limit characters in cell in Excel.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Step 1: Select the range that you will limit date entries with specify character length.
Step 2: Click the Data validation in the Data Tools group under Data tab.
Step 3: In the Data Validation dialog box, select the Text Length item from the Allow: drop down box. See the following screen shot:
Step 3: In the Data: drop down box, you will get a lot of choices and select one, see the following screen shot:
- If you want that others are only able to entry exact number of characters, says 10 characters, select the equal to item.
- If you want that the number of inputted character is no more than 10, select the less than item.
- If you want that the number of inputted character is no less than 10, select the greater than item.
Step 4: Entry exact number that you want to limit in Maximum/Minimum/Length box according to your needs.
Step 5: Click OK.
Now users can only enter text with limited number of characters in selected ranges.
The Data Validation allows us to set input message for text length limitation besides selected cell.
- Step 1: In the Data Validation dialog box, switch to the Input Message tab.
- Step 2: Check the Show input message when cell is selected option.
- Step 3: Entry the message title and message content.
- Step 4: Click OK.
Now go back to the worksheet, and click one cell in selected range with text length limitation, it displays a tip with the message title and content. See the following screen shot:
Another alternative way to tell user the cell is limited by text length is to set an error alter. The error alert will be shown after you entry invalid data.
- Step 1: In the Data Validation dialog box, switch to the Error Alert dialog box.
- Step 2: Check the Show error alert after invalid data in entered option.
- Step 3: Select the Warning item from the Style: drop down box.
- Step 4: Input the alert title and alert message.
- Step 5: Click OK.
Now if the text you entered in a cell is invalid, for example it contains more than 10 characters, a warning dialog box will pop up with preset alert title and message. See the following screen shot:
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...