Quickly calculate cells value based on font，background or conditional color in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Boosts Excel With 300+
There are many formulas to perform data calculation in Excel. But if you want to count or sum cells by their fill or background color or font color, and do other calculations with a range of cells based on a specified background， font, conditional formatting color, there is no such formula for you to do so in Excel. But Kutools for Excel's Count by Color utility can quickly apply calculations to cells based on cell color and generate a report in a new workbook.
Click Kutools Plus >> Count by Color. See screenshots:
Supposing you have a worksheet containing a range of cells as shown in the below screenshot, and you want to apply calculations (count, sum, etc.) to the range based on their background or shading color. You can do it as follows.
1. Please select the range that you want to apply calculations based on their background / shading color, and apply the Count by Color utility (Click Kutools Plus > Count by Color).
2. In the opening Count by Color dialog,
(1) Click the Color method box and specify one of options from the drop down list;
(2) Click the Count type box and specify the Background from the drop down list.
A: Count: it will calculate how many cells with specific cell color in the range.
B: Sum: it will add all the number in the cells with specific cell color in the range.
C: Average: it will return the average of the cells with specific cell color in the range.
D: Max: displaying the Max value of the cells with specific cell color in the range.
E: Min: displaying the Min value of the cells with specific cell color in the range.
There are three options in the drop down list of Color method: Standard formatting, Conditional formatting, and Standard and Conditional formatting.
If you need to calculate cells by fill/background color which are formatted with Home > Fill Color, please select Standard formatting; if you need to calculate cells by fill/background color which are formatted by Conditional Formatting, please select Conditional formatting; if calculating all cells by fill/background color, please select the Standard and Conditional formatting.
3. If you want to generate the report in a new workbook, please click Generate report button. And you will see the report in the new workbook as follows:
For example, you have a range of cells formatted by different font colors as below screen shot shown, and you want to calculate (count, sum, average, or others) the cells by their font colors, you can apply the Count by Color utility as following:
1. Select the range where you will calculate cells by font colors, and apply the Count by Color utility (Click Kutools Plus > Count by Color).
2. In the opening Count by Color dialog box:
(1) Click the Color method box and specify one of options from the drop down list based on your needs, such as Standard and Conditional formatting;
(2) Click the Count type box, and specify Font from the drop down list.
3. If you want to generate the report in a new workbook, please click the Generate report button. Then you will see the report in a new workbook as following screen shot shown:
1. This utility will apply the calculations to the cells containing numeric value based on their cell color except the Count calculation.
2. The conditional formatting color can be applied in Excel 2010 and later version. In Excel 2007, you can only apply the font and background color with standard formatting, see screenshot:
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 30 days.