Quickly add the same text or characters in a range of cells in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Supposing you have a range of cells and now you need to add or insert text in front of existing text in the cells. How could you add text or characters to the beginning of multiple cells, add text or characters to the end of cells or insert text or characters between existing text? With Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly apply the following operations:
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshots:
Add same text or characters to the beginning of cells (before the first character of existing text string)
For example, you have a range of cell values need to be added the same text to the beginning of cells, you can do as this:
1. Select the range that you want to insert the same text.
2. Apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Text > Add Text.
3. In the Add Text dialog box, please input the text you want to add in the Text box. And check Before first character under Position. And you can preview the result from the Preview Pane. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply. The text has been added before the cell values. Note: click OK button will close the dialog box and apply the operation; but click Apply button will only apply the operation without closing the dialog box. See screenshots:
If you need to insert the same text to the end of cells (after the last character of existing text string), this utility also can help you.
1. Select the range that you want to insert the same text after the last character of existing text string.
2. Go to the Add Text dialog box, and enter the text you want to add in the Text box. And check After last character under Position. And you can preview the result from the Preview Pane. See screenshot:
3. Then click OK or Apply. And the text has been added after the cell value. See screenshots:
Add same text or characters between existing text string (start to insert at one or multiple specified position)
With this tool, you can also insert text between existing text string (start to insert at specified one or multiple position).
1. Highlight the range that you want to insert the same text between existing text string.
2. Go to the Add Text dialog box, and enter the text or characters you want to add in the Text box. And check Specify under Position and select the position (such as, to insert the text after the 8th character of existing text string) where you want to add the text. And you can preview the result from the Preview Pane. See screenshot:
Note: You can add text or characters at multiple specified position simultaneously with entering the text positions and separating them with commas. See screenshot:
3. Then click OK or Apply. And the text has been added to the specified character position. See screenshots:
Or add text or characters at multiple specified positions. See screenshot:
If you want to add text or characters before every uppercase, lowercase, letter or number, this utility can also help you, for adding spaces before every uppercase, please do as follows.
1. Select the range you want to add text or charaters before every uppercase, then open the Add Text dialog box.
2. In the Add Text dialog box, type the text or characters you need to add before every uppercase (in this case, we press the Space button once to add a space into the Text box), select Before uppercase letters option in the Only add to drop-down list. And then click the OK or Apply button. See screenshot:
Now the spaces are added before every uppercase letter in selected range. See screenshot:
1. This utility supports Undo (Ctrl+Z), and the undo is only one level.
2. If you check Skip non-text cells, the non-text cells will be avoided.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.