How to sort alphanumeric data in Excel?
Sort alphanumeric data with formula helper column
In Excel, you can create a formula helper column, and then sort the data by this new column, please do as following steps:
1. Enter this formula =TEXT(A2, "###") into a blank cell besides your data, B2, for instance, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, see screenshot:
3. And then sort the data by this new column, select the helper column you created, then click Data > Sort, and in the popped out prompt box, select Expand the selection, see screenshots:
4. And click Sort button to open the Sort dialog, under Column section, choose Helper column name that you want to sort by, and use Values under Sort On section, and then select the sort order as you want, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK, in the popped out Sort Warning dialog, please select Sort numbers and numbers stored as text separately, see screenshot:
6. Then click OK button, you can see, the data has been sorted to your need.
7. At last, you can delete the contents of the helper column as you need.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!