How to sort dates in chronological order in Excel?
Supposing you have a date list mixed with multiple date formats as below screenshot shown. In this case, Excel can not sort them correctly by using the Sort function. But, you can convert all different date formats to a specified date format such as mm/dd/yyy first, and then sort them in chronological order, how can you achieve it? This article will show you a method to deal with it.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Here we introduce the Convert to Date utility of Kutools for Excel to help you convert all dates to mm/dd/yyy date format in bulk, and then sort them in chronological order in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select the date list, click Kutools > Content > Convert to Date. See screenshot:
2. Then a Convert to Date dialog box is opening, and dates in the selected list are converted to mm/dd/yyyy at the same time. Please close the Convert to Date dialog box. See screenshot:
3. Keep selecting the date list, click Data > Sort Oldest to Newest or Newest to Oldest as you need to sort dates in chronological order. See screenshot:
- How to sort data with merged cells in Excel?
- How to sort a column to match the value in another column in Excel?