How to unmerge cells and fill with duplicate values in Excel?
If you have a worksheet which contains numerous merged cells, and now you need to unmerge them and auto-fill down the original values from the merged cells as following screenshots shown. How could you quickly deal with this task?
Unmerge Cells and copy values down:
If you want to cancel the merged cells and fill the cells with their relative values of the merged cells, Kutools for Excel’s Unmerge Cell feature ma help you, by applying it, you can quickly unmerge the merged cells and auto-fill down each unmerged cells with the corresponding data.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
With the Go To Special command, you can unmerge cells and fill down the values. But this method is somewhat troublesome, please do as following steps:
1. Select the columns that have merged cells.
2. Click Home > Merge & Center > Unmerge Cells. See screenshot:
3. And the merged cells have been unmerged and only the first cell will be filled with the original values. And then select the range again.
4. Then click Home > Find & Select > Go To Special. In the Go To Special dialog box, select Blanks option. See screenshot:
5. And then click OK, all of the blank cells in the range have been selected. Then input = and press Up arrow key on the keyboard. See screenshot:
6. Then press Ctrl + Enter keys, all of the blank cells have been filled with the original merged data. See screenshot:
With the following VBA code, you can quickly unmerge the cells and fill down the values.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Modulewindow.
Sub UnMergeSameCell() 'Upadateby20131127 Dim Rng As Range, xCell As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.DisplayAlerts = False For Each Rng In WorkRng If Rng.MergeCells Then With Rng.MergeArea .UnMerge .Formula = Rng.Formula End With End If Next Application.DisplayAlerts = True Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then press the F5 key to run this code, a dialog is displayed for selecting a range to work with, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, then the merged cells have been unmerged and auto-filled down the original merged values.
With the Unmerge Cell utility of Kutools for Excel, you can unmerge cells and fill with duplicate data with one click, this method is very simple and handy.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, you can do as follows:
1. Select the columns that you want to unmerge and fill down the data.
2. Click Kutools > Range > Unmerge Cell, see screenshot:
3. And the merged cells have been unmerged and filled with the duplicate values at once. See screenshots:
Tips: If you want to merge the adjacent rows with same value, you can apply the Merge Same Cells feature as following screenshot shown:
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...