How to convert various non-standard date formats to standard date in Excel?
Maybe you have encountered with various non-standard date formats when you use the Excel workbook. Excel doesn’t recognize them and you can’t use them for any calculation purpose or change their format as you need. How could you change these strange date formats to the Excel standard date?
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Here I will talk about using DateValue function to change the text dates to proper Excel dates. When you input '2013/03/21 into a cell, that apostrophe before the date is used to indicate to Excel that the value in the cell is text value (see following screenshot). You can convert this text dates to Excel date as following steps:
1. In the adjacent cell B1, enter the formula = Datevalue(A1), see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, the formula returns a number 41317. This is the correct answer, but it has the wrong format. So you need to change the date format.
3. Select the cell B1 and right-click, choose Format Cells from the context menu. In the Format Cells dialog box, click Number > Date, and choose the local date as you need. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK, the number has been converted to normal Excel date. And then select the cell B1 and drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contain this formula. See screenshot:
Tip: Maybe you also have this date format 2013-mar-12, the Datevalue function can change it to Excel date as well. Do as this:
1. Enter the formula =DATEVALUE(RIGHT(A1,2)&"-"&MID(A1,6,3)&"-"&LEFT(A1,4)) into the blank cell B1. See screenshot:
2. Then tap the Enter key, select cell B1, and then drag the fill handle to the range you need. See screenshot:
These are only two simple examples, if you have any other text date format, you need other formulas to deal with.
Sometimes you may have numbers such as 20130321 in cells, but now you want to convert it to normal Excel date 3/21/2013, the Text to Columns tool can convert the numbers to recognized Excel date.
1. Select the cells that you want to change.
2. Click Data > Text to Columns, in the Convert Text to Columns Wizard, check Delimited, and click Next.
3. In step2, directly click Next to continue.
4. In step 3, select Date from the Column data format, and choose YMD from the Date drop down list. See screenshot:
5. Then click Finish, and the numbers in the selected cells have been changed to the normal Excel date. See screenshots:
Different non-standard dates need different solutions, so we need a handy and multifunctional method which can help us to change various strange dates to normal Excel date at the same time. With the Convert to date of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly convert some non-standard date format which cannot be identifying by Excel as the normal date format.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the range with non-standard dates you want to convert, click Kutools > Content > Convert to date, see screenshot:
2. Then the Convert to Date dialog box pops up, you can see all non-standard dates in selected range are converted to normal date format at the same time. See screenshot:
Excel Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agohow do o convert from yyyyy-mm-ddd hh mm ss to yyyy-mm-dd?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agohow convert 2/1/2018 5:54:58 PM to Feb 01, 2018 3:08 PM
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agohow to convert 12/14 to December 2014
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi Team,
how to convert date format from dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss to dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm:ss by using any formula or simple step also.
when am trying to do the format cells to change the date format, cells are remain same.pls do the needful.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoCheck out the example and formula of how to convert the exact data format which you want in the attached screen shot.