- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoFound the answer: A2 / 86400 + 25569 - 5 / 24 (where A2 is column name and -5 UTC time offset for CST)
How to convert various non-standard date formats to standard date in Excel?
Maybe you have encountered with various non-standard date formats when you use the Excel workbook. Excel doesn’t recognize them and you can’t use them for any calculation purpose or change their format as you need. How could you change these strange date formats to the Excel standard date?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Here I will talk about using DateValue function to change the text dates to proper Excel dates. When you input '2013/03/21 into a cell, that apostrophe before the date is used to indicate to Excel that the value in the cell is text value (see following screenshot). You can convert this text dates to Excel date as following steps:
1. In the adjacent cell B1, enter the formula = Datevalue(A1), see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, the formula returns a number 41317. This is the correct answer, but it has the wrong format. So you need to change the date format.
3. Select the cell B1 and right-click, choose Format Cells from the context menu. In the Format Cells dialog box, click Number > Date, and choose the local date as you need. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK, the number has been converted to normal Excel date. And then select the cell B1 and drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contain this formula. See screenshot:
Tip: Maybe you also have this date format 2013-mar-12, the Datevalue function can change it to Excel date as well. Do as this:
1. Enter the formula =DATEVALUE(RIGHT(A1,2)&"-"&MID(A1,6,3)&"-"&LEFT(A1,4)) into the blank cell B1. See screenshot:
2. Then tap the Enter key, select cell B1, and then drag the fill handle to the range you need. See screenshot:
These are only two simple examples, if you have any other text date format, you need other formulas to deal with.
Sometimes you may have numbers such as 20130321 in cells, but now you want to convert it to normal Excel date 3/21/2013, the Text to Columns tool can convert the numbers to recognized Excel date.
1. Select the cells that you want to change.
2. Click Data > Text to Columns, in the Convert Text to Columns Wizard, check Delimited, and click Next.
3. In step2, directly click Next to continue.
4. In step 3, select Date from the Column data format, and choose YMD from the Date drop down list. See screenshot:
5. Then click Finish, and the numbers in the selected cells have been changed to the normal Excel date. See screenshots:
Different non-standard dates need different solutions, so we need a handy and multifunctional method which can help us to change various strange dates to normal Excel date at the same time. With the Convert to date of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly convert some non-standard date format which cannot be identifying by Excel as the normal date format.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the range with non-standard dates you want to convert, click Kutools > Content > Convert to date, see screenshot:
2. Then the Convert to Date dialog box pops up, you can see all non-standard dates in selected range are converted to normal date format at the same time. See screenshot:
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI wanted to convert 1529557740 to this format Fri 22 Jun 2018 00:09:00. It didn't work. Can someone suggest
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agohow do o convert from yyyyy-mm-ddd hh mm ss to yyyy-mm-dd?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agohow convert 2/1/2018 5:54:58 PM to Feb 01, 2018 3:08 PM
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agohow to convert 12/14 to December 2014
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi Team,
how to convert date format from dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss to dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm:ss by using any formula or simple step also.
when am trying to do the format cells to change the date format, cells are remain same.pls do the needful.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoCheck out the example and formula of how to convert the exact data format which you want in the attached screen shot.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHow to convert date format, '20.06.2016' to '20-06-2016' for applying the text formula?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoAssuming the date is in cell A2, enter the following into cell B2 =SUBSTITUTE(A2,".","/")
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years ago=Text(dd-mm-yyyy)
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoI have an excel file that has a countdown function between time NOW and a future date/time. Works fine as long as I open the file every time on a laptop but when opened with a cell phone (IOS), the countdown calculates always to today's date as opposed to an assigned future date. Any thoughts?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoi'm having a date column which having different date time format, i need to change this to "dd-mmm-yyyy hh:mm:ss" format, i tired many ways , no luck :( , could you please help me ?
i'm adding some sample date below.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agomy cell phone creates a datestring I cant figure out how to convert....example (1486878061975) any help is much appreciated
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI have imported large amounts of data with a date format of YY/MM/DD, which I can not convert to DD/MM/YY.
Excel continues to read it of as YY/MM/20DD
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThe most useful thing ever!!! Thank you!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI have an excel file with a date column stored as 21/02/16. The number format is general. How can I convert it to a date format.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHow do i convert text date format "Jun-28-2016" to "2016-06-28"? I have tried this: =DATEVALUE(RIGHT(B3,4)&"-"&MID(B3,5,2)&"-"&LEFT(B3,2))
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years ago=RIGHT(A5,4)&"-"&MONTH(DATEVALUE(LEFT(A5,3)&" 1"))&"-"&TEXT(MID(A5,5,2),"dd") - assuming in cell A5 we have "Jun-28-2016"
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoHi all. I am looking for some help.
In A2 I am copying a “date” from a external spreadsheet. A2=[transactions.csv]transactions.csv!
A2. The format is as 2/06/2015 and Excel does not recognize as a date format to use with filters, even if I setup the cell as a date format. I am wondering if I could have a formula to automatically make this work as soon as I open this spreadsheet and convert to a date format DD-MM-YYYY.
Sorry guys, but I am pretty new on Excel.
Thanks in advance.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoHi there
I got a .cvs file where a column is full of dates on the format 2/04/2015.
Selecting this full column and using the Text to Columns function it fix some cells to dates like 02-04-2015, but another others cells does not change anything.
I am using Excel 2011 for Mac.
Would you know why some cells remais unchanged and what can I do to leave all the cells like 02-04-2015?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoPlease help me to cenvert this format of letter B to Letter A.
the data type under B is incorrect; to match under A.
A. 1/4/2012 9:40 1 1 2012
B. 1/4/20129:40:00AM #VALUE! #VALUE! #VALUE!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoWow. Thank you. Solved a problem I have been having for quite some time on a report and usually requires me to spend too much tedious time fixing.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoFor the fist time something was usefull! Thanks
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoI have to convert date to text. for example 11.02.1998 as Eleven February Nineteen Ninety Eight. so advice me if it is possible in excel.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoHow to write by using non standard format f.e. 54 IM line as XX.123.54.2014.IM where "XX. 123." and ".2014." are constant while "54" and "IM" are variable? I tried wrote "XX. 123."@".2014."@ and "XX. 123."#".2014."@ but I didn't achieve any effect.