How To Combine Multiple Cells Into A Cell With Space, Commas or other separators In Excel?
When you combine the cells from multiple columns or rows into a single cell, the combined data may be separated by nothing. But if you want to separate them with specified marks, such as space, commas, semicolon or others, how can you do? This tutorial will introduce some methods for you.
- Concatenate row or column of cells into one cell with space, comma or other separators by using formulas
- Concatenate row or column of cells into one cell with space, comma or other separators by the User Defined Function
- Concatenate row or column of cells into one cell with line break by using formulas
- Concatenate row, column or range of cells into one cell with specified separator by using a wonderful feature
Concatenate row or column of cells into one cell with space, comma or other separators by using formulas
In Excel, you can use the below formulas to combine a row of cells or a column of cells into a single cell.
- Method A: Use "&" operator to combine cells
- Method B: Use Concatenate function to combine cells
- Method C: Use Textjoin function to combine cells (Excel 365 and later versions)
In Excel, you can use the "&" operator to combine different text strings or cell values.
Please enter the below formula to concatenate the cells in multiple columns: (separate the combined results with space, you can replace the blank with other separators as you need.)
And then, drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and the data from different columns have been merged into one cell, see screenshot:
The Concatenate function in Excel is also used to join multiple text strings or cell values into one cell.
Please enter or copy the below formula into a blank cell:
And then, drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, you will get the following result:
If you have Excel 365 and later versions, there is new function-Textjoin, this function also can help you to combine multiple cells into one cell.
Enter or copy the following formula into a blank cell:
Then, drag the fill handle to apply this formula to other cells, see screenshot:
Layoff season is coming, still work slowly?
-- Office Tab boosts your pace, saves 50% work time!
- Amazing! The operation of multiple documents is even more relaxing and convenient than single document;
- Compared with other web browsers, the interface of Office Tab is more powerful and aesthetic;
- Reduce thousands of tedious mouse clicks, say goodbye to cervical spondylosis and mouse hand;
- Be chosen by 90,000 elites and 300+ well-known companies!
Concatenate row or column of cells into one cell with space, comma or other separators by the User Defined Function
In Excel, you can also create a User Defined Function to combine cells of row or column into a single cell with spaces or specified marks.
1. Hold ALT + F11 keys on the keyboard to open a Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and copy the VBA into the module.
VBA: Combine cells based on row or column into one with specific separator:
Function Combine(WorkRng As Range, Optional Sign As String = "~") As String Dim Rng As Range Dim OutStr As String For Each Rng In WorkRng If Rng.Text <> " " Then OutStr = OutStr & Rng.Text & Sign End If Next Combine = Left(OutStr, Len(OutStr) - 1) End Function
Tip: In the above script "Function Combine(WorkRng As Range, Optional Sign As String = "~") As String", the separator "~" is specified to separate the combined result, you can change it to meet your need.
3. Then please type formula =Combine(A2:C2) in a blank cell, and then drag the fill handle over the range that you want to apply this formula, all of the cells in the row will be combined into a cell with dashes. See screenshot:
Sometimes, you may want to use the line break to separate the concatenated text string, normally, the CHAR(10) will return the line break character. Here, you can use the below methods to solve this task:
- Method A: Use Concatenate function to combine cells with line break
- Method B: Use Textjoin function to combine cells with line break (Excel 365 and later versions)
Here, you can combine the concatenate function with the Char(10) character together to get the merged result which is separated by line break.
1. Please type or copy the below formula:
Then, drag the fill handle down to the cells you want to apply this formula, and you will get the following result:
2. Then, you should click Home > Wrap Text to format the cells, and then, you will get the result as you need:
May be the above formula is somewhat difficult if there are multiple cells needed to be combined, so, the Textjoin function can deal with this task quickly and easily.
Please enter or copy the below formula into a blank cell:
After getting the combined results, please remember to format the formula cells to Wrap Text, see screenshot:
Concatenate row, column or range of cells into one cell with specified separator by using a wonderful feature
If you are annoying with the above formulas and code, here, I can recommend a useful tool- Kutools for Excel, with its Combine feature, you can quickly combine cell values by row, column or a range into one single cell.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Select a range cell values that you want to combine into a cell.
2. Please apply this function by clicking Kutools > Merge & Split > Combine Rows, Columns or Cells without Losing Data. See screenshot:
3. In the popped out dialog box, please specify the operations you need as following screenshot shown:
4. Then, click Ok, you will get the result as below screenshot shown:
1). Combine cell values into one cell for each row:
2). Combine cell values into one cell for each column:
3). combine a range of cell values into one single cell:
More relative combine rows and columns articles:
- Merge Cells (combine cells contents) Without Losing Data In Excel
- We may combine cells and their contents in Microsoft Excel frequently. However, do you find out the easiest way to combine cell contents? Here we will talk about how to combine cell contents in Excel easily and quickly.
- Merge And Combine Rows Without Losing Data In Excel
- Excel only keeps the data in the upper-left most cell, if you apply "Merge & Center" command (Home tab > Merge & Center on the Alignment panel) to merge rows of data in Excel. Users have to use another method to merge multiple rows of data into one row without deleting data.
- Combine Duplicate Rows And Sum The Values In Excel
- In Excel，you may always meet this problem, when you have a range of data which contains some duplicate entries, and now you want to combine the duplicate data and sum the corresponding values in another column, as following screenshots shown. How could you solve this problem?
- Combine Date And Time Into One Cell In Excel
- There are two columns in a worksheet, one is the date, the other is time, as shown as below, is there any way to quickly combine these two columns into one, and keep the time format?
- Concatenate Cells Ignore Or Skip Blanks In Excel
- Excel’s Concatenate function can help you to combine multiple cell values into one cell quickly, if there are some blank cells within the selected cells, this function will combine the blanks as well. But, sometime, you just want to concatenate cells with data and skip the empty cells, how could you finish it in Excel?