How to set a password to protect the workbook?
Supposing you have an Excel file which contain some important data that you don’t want others to see, in this situation, you can set a password for the Excel file to prevent others from accessing to the workbook. But how to set a password to protect the workbook?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
With the Save As function in Excel, you can set a password to prevent other users from opening or modifying the workbook, please do as follows:
1. Open your workbook that you want to set a password.
2. Click File > Save As in Excel 2010 / 2013, (if you use Excel 2007, please click button > Save As) and a Save As dialog box will pop out, click Tools drop down list, and click General Options, see screenshots:
3. Then enter your password in the Password to open text box, click OK button and then confirm the password again. See screenshots:
4. And then click OK to close the above two dialog box, it will return to the Save As dialog, then click Save to save the workbook with its password.
And the Excel file will set the password, when you launch this workbook next time, you need to enter the password to open it. See screenshot:
Note: If you want others read your workbook only and cannot modify the workbook, you can let the Password to open text box blank and set a password in the Password to modify text box in the step 3.
Here is another method can help you to set a password for the Excel document, do as this:
1. Launch your workbook that you want to set a password.
2. Click File > Info > Protect Workbook > Encrypt with Password in Excel 2010 / 2013, see screenshot:
If in Excel 2007, you need to click > Prepare > Encrypt Document, see screenshot:
3. And an Encrypt Document dialog box pops out, type your password into the Password text box, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK, and another Confirm Password dialog will pop out to remind entering the password for confirmation.
5. Click OK to close the dialog, and then save this workbook. When you open this workbook next time, you need to have the correct password to access it.
If you want to cancel the password you have set, you just need to open your workbook with the right password. And then click File > Info > Protect Workbook > Encrypt with Password to open the Encrypt Document dialog, remove the password that you have set. Then save the file. See screenshots: