How to set a password to protect the workbook?
Supposing you have an Excel file which contain some important data that you don’t want others to see, in this situation, you can set a password for the Excel file to prevent others from accessing to the workbook. But how to set a password to protect the workbook?
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
With the Save As function in Excel, you can set a password to prevent other users from opening or modifying the workbook, please do as follows:
1. Open your workbook that you want to set a password.
2. Click File > Save As in Excel 2010 / 2013, (if you use Excel 2007, please click button > Save As) and a Save As dialog box will pop out, click Tools drop down list, and click General Options, see screenshots:
3. Then enter your password in the Password to open text box, click OK button and then confirm the password again. See screenshots:
4. And then click OK to close the above two dialog box, it will return to the Save As dialog, then click Save to save the workbook with its password.
And the Excel file will set the password, when you launch this workbook next time, you need to enter the password to open it. See screenshot:
Note: If you want others read your workbook only and cannot modify the workbook, you can let the Password to open text box blank and set a password in the Password to modify text box in the step 3.
Here is another method can help you to set a password for the Excel document, do as this:
1. Launch your workbook that you want to set a password.
2. Click File > Info > Protect Workbook > Encrypt with Password in Excel 2010 / 2013, see screenshot:
If in Excel 2007, you need to click > Prepare > Encrypt Document, see screenshot:
3. And an Encrypt Document dialog box pops out, type your password into the Password text box, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK, and another Confirm Password dialog will pop out to remind entering the password for confirmation.
5. Click OK to close the dialog, and then save this workbook. When you open this workbook next time, you need to have the correct password to access it.
If you want to cancel the password you have set, you just need to open your workbook with the right password. And then click File > Info > Protect Workbook > Encrypt with Password to open the Encrypt Document dialog, remove the password that you have set. Then save the file. See screenshots: