How to sort cells by absolute values in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of data which contain both positive numbers and negatives need to sort, if you apply the Sort function in Excel, all the numbers will be sorted by ascending or descending. But you want to ignore the sign when you sort your data, that means sort the cells by absolute values. Is there any way to sort the list of numbers by their absolute values in Excel?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can convert the values to absolute values first, and then use the Sort function to sort the values, and the cells will be sorted by the absolute values. Please do as follows:
1. In an adjacent blank cell, B2 for instance, enter this formula =ABS(A2), see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and select cell B2, and then drag the fill handle to the range that you want to contain this formula, and all the numbers have been converted to absolute values. See screenshot:
3. Then click Data > Sort A to Z or Sort Z to A as you need, see screenshot:
4. And a Sort Warning dialog box will pop out, check Expand the selection option. See screenshot:
5. Then click Sort button, and all the numbers have been sorted by the absolute values. See screenshot:
6. After getting the sorted result, you can delete the helper column B as you want.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, the feature of Advanced Sort can help you sort cells by absolute values more directly and simply.
Step 1. Select the cells you want to sort by their absolute values, and click Enterprise > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
Step 2. Specify the setting in the Advanced Sort dialog. See screenshot:
- Select the column you want to sort and if the column has header, check My data has headers box;
- Select Absolute value from Sort On drop-down list;
- Choose ascending or descending order from Order part.
Step 3. Click Ok, the cells are sorted by the absolute values. See screenshot: