How to sort cells by absolute values in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of data which contain both positive numbers and negatives need to sort, if you apply the Sort function in Excel, all the numbers will be sorted by ascending or descending. But you want to ignore the sign when you sort your data, that means sort the cells by absolute values. Is there any way to sort the list of numbers by their absolute values in Excel?
You can convert the values to absolute values first, and then use the Sort function to sort the values, and the cells will be sorted by the absolute values. Please do as follows:
1. In an adjacent blank cell, B2 for instance, enter this formula =ABS(A2), see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and select cell B2, and then drag the fill handle to the range that you want to contain this formula, and all the numbers have been converted to absolute values. See screenshot:
3. Then click Data > Sort A to Z or Sort Z to A as you need, see screenshot:
4. And a Sort Warning dialog box will pop out, check Expand the selection option. See screenshot:
5. Then click Sort button, and all the numbers have been sorted by the absolute values. See screenshot:
6. After getting the sorted result, you can delete the helper column B as you want.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, the feature of Advanced Sort can help you sort cells by absolute values more directly and simply.
Step 1. Select the cells you want to sort by their absolute values, and click Enterprise > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
Step 2. Specify the setting in the Advanced Sort dialog. See screenshot:
- Select the column you want to sort and if the column has header, check My data has headers box;
- Select Absolute value from Sort On drop-down list;
- Choose ascending or descending order from Order part.
Step 3. Click Ok, the cells are sorted by the absolute values. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!