How to reference same cell from multiple worksheets in Excel?
Supposing you have a workbook which contains multiple worksheets, and now you want to extract the data within the same cell across multiple worksheets into one master worksheet. For example, pull cell B6 from Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3, Sheet4… into a master sheet. How could you solve this task quickly and easily?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Here, I will take the following screenshot for example. I have a workbook with five worksheets, four of the worksheets are set up the same way, with their Total orders in cell B6. And now I want to reference cell B6 from these four worksheets and fill them into the Master worksheet. See screenshots:
Here, we can use Copy and Paste Link function to copy and link the data. And it is easy for us to apply.
1. Click cell B6 in Monday sheet, and press Ctrl + C to copy it.
2. Go to the Master sheet, click the corresponding cell and right click, choose Paste Special from the context menu.
3. In the Paste Special dialog box, click Paste Link button. See screenshot:
4. And the value has been pasted to the cell and linked to the original data.
5. Then repeat above steps to copy and paste link cell values from other worksheets into the Master sheet one by one.
If there are dozens of worksheets, the copy and paste function will be troublesome and time-consuming, in this case, the following VBA code can help you fill the same cell references from multiple worksheets into one worksheet at once.
1. In the Master worksheet, click cell B6 which is the cell you want to extract from other worksheets.
2. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: reference same cell from multiple worksheets
Sub AutoFillSheetNames() 'Update 20131202 Dim ActRng As Range Dim ActWsName As String Dim ActAddress As String Dim Ws As Worksheet On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set ActRng = Application.ActiveCell ActWsName = Application.ActiveSheet.Name ActAddress = ActRng.Address(False, False) Application.ScreenUpdating = False xIndex = 0 For Each Ws In Application.Worksheets If Ws.Name <> ActWsName Then ActRng.Offset(xIndex, 0).Value = "='" & Ws.Name & "'!" & ActAddress xIndex = xIndex + 1 End If Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
4. Then press F5 key to run this code, and all values of cell B6 from other worksheets have been pulled into the Master worksheet. See screenshot:
Note: This VBA code is applied for filling the cells where you click. For example, if you click cell A1 in a specified worksheet, all the values of cell A1 from other worksheets will be filled into this worksheet.
If you are not familiar with the VBA code, here, I can introduce you a useful tool - Kutools for Excel, with its Fill Worksheets References utility, you can fill cell references from multiple worksheets in Excel with ease.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click cell B6 within the Master sheet which you want to extract from other worksheets.
2. Then click Kutools > More Tools > Fill Worksheets References, see screenshot:
3. In the Fill Worksheets References dialog box, choose Fill vertically cell after cell from the Fill order, and click the little lock beside the formula text box, and the grey lock will become yellow lock, it means the formula and cell reference has been locked, then you can click any a cell to extract the cell B6 references from other worksheets, in this example I will click cell B2. (If you don’t lock this little lock, the cell reference and formula you are created will be changed with the selected cell.) Then, check the worksheets which you want to extract the cell references from. See screenshot:
4. Then click Fill Range button, and the cell values of cell B6 from other worksheets have been listed vertically in the Master worksheet, and then close this dialog box. See screenshot:
Note: With this utility, you can also fill the same cell references from other worksheets horizontally cell after cell into one worksheet. Meanwhile, you can extract the cell references from the specified worksheets.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI have create a stock sheet and opening stock list is there and i create 500 sheets for different items so how to put opening stock in all sheets at a time
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHello,
I have a list of students in column A and the schools they attend in G. I want a worksheet to populate all students who attend X school from the available worksheets. How would I do this? Thanks in advance!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoI have a spreadsheet with all the months. I want some of the cells to carry over from the first month to the proceeding other (i.e., cell B12 in January can be linked to February - December cell B12).
How would I do this?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi, thanks it works with a workbook at my job. Thanks
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoDears,
Kindly note that I used Reference Same Cell From Multiple Worksheets With VBA Code and it works with me properly, however I need your help in how to me this code retrieve the values in the master sheet horizontal instead of vertical.
Best Regards, :-)
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoDears
Kindly note that I used Reference Same Cell From Multiple Worksheets With VBA Code and it works properly, but I need to modify something in the code and I need your help to make the values return in the master sheet horizontal instead of vertical.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoIs there a MAcbook version of this tool?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi
I have just tried your vba code and it makes sense how to use it however on my master spreadsheet for this to work it is slightly more complicated
firstly i'd want when i run the code for the results to populate horizontally
secondly the cell id use as a reference like B6 is used doesnt correpsond on the other spreadsheets - so to explain the value id want to find appears in the same cell on each sheet but this doesnt correspond onto the master spreadsheet
hope this makes sense
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agohi
Thank you for you coding its really great and so much helpful for us.
In this above VBA code how can I exclude the hidden worksheet? As I have different customer whom I billed them monthly using a format. So I have created few worksheet and hide them and from where I extract the different data from this hidden sheet.
So please let me know the coding so that it doesn't pick the cell value from hidden worksheet.
Your work is highly appreciated and thak you for your wonderful support!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHow would I reference a specific cell as opposed to the cell that I have selected in another workbook?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoYou missed single quotes in line 16 of the VBA code.
This code is correct:
Dim ActRng As Range
Dim ActWsName As String
Dim ActAddress As String
Dim Ws As Worksheet
On Error Resume Next
xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel"
Set ActRng = Application.ActiveCell
ActWsName = Application.ActiveSheet.Name
ActAddress = ActRng.Address(False, False)
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
xIndex = 0
For Each Ws In Application.Worksheets
If Ws.Name ActWsName Then
ActRng.Offset(xIndex, 0).Value = "='" & Ws.Name & "'!" & ActAddress
xIndex = xIndex + 1
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoANd what if I want to specify the cell not clicking on it but writing it? how would the code change?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agothanks a lot it's very useful :roll: