How to reference same cell from multiple worksheets in Excel?
Supposing you have a workbook which contains multiple worksheets, and now you want to extract the data within the same cell across multiple worksheets into one master worksheet. For example, pull cell B6 from Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3, Sheet4… into a master sheet. How could you solve this task quickly and easily?
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Here, I will take the following screenshot for example. I have a workbook with five worksheets, four of the worksheets are set up the same way, with their Total orders in cell B6. And now I want to reference cell B6 from these four worksheets and fill them into the Master worksheet. See screenshots:
Here, we can use Copy and Paste Link function to copy and link the data. And it is easy for us to apply.
1. Click cell B6 in Monday sheet, and press Ctrl + C to copy it.
2. Go to the Master sheet, click the corresponding cell and right click, choose Paste Special from the context menu.
3. In the Paste Special dialog box, click Paste Link button. See screenshot:
4. And the value has been pasted to the cell and linked to the original data.
5. Then repeat above steps to copy and paste link cell values from other worksheets into the Master sheet one by one.
If there are dozens of worksheets, the copy and paste function will be troublesome and time-consuming, in this case, the following VBA code can help you fill the same cell references from multiple worksheets into one worksheet at once.
1. In the Master worksheet, click cell B6 which is the cell you want to extract from other worksheets.
2. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: reference same cell from multiple worksheets
Sub AutoFillSheetNames() 'Update 20131202 Dim ActRng As Range Dim ActWsName As String Dim ActAddress As String Dim Ws As Worksheet On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set ActRng = Application.ActiveCell ActWsName = Application.ActiveSheet.Name ActAddress = ActRng.Address(False, False) Application.ScreenUpdating = False xIndex = 0 For Each Ws In Application.Worksheets If Ws.Name <> ActWsName Then ActRng.Offset(xIndex, 0).Value = "='" & Ws.Name & "'!" & ActAddress xIndex = xIndex + 1 End If Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
4. Then press F5 key to run this code, and all values of cell B6 from other worksheets have been pulled into the Master worksheet. See screenshot:
Note: This VBA code is applied for filling the cells where you click. For example, if you click cell A1 in a specified worksheet, all the values of cell A1 from other worksheets will be filled into this worksheet.
If you are not familiar with the VBA code, here, I can introduce you a useful tool - Kutools for Excel, with its Fill Worksheets References utility, you can fill cell references from multiple worksheets in Excel with ease.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click cell B6 within the Master sheet which you want to extract from other worksheets.
2. Then click Kutools > More Tools > Fill Worksheets References, see screenshot:
3. In the Fill Worksheets References dialog box, choose Fill vertically cell after cell from the Fill order, and click the little lock beside the formula text box, and the grey lock will become yellow lock, it means the formula and cell reference has been locked, then you can click any a cell to extract the cell B6 references from other worksheets, in this example I will click cell B2. (If you don’t lock this little lock, the cell reference and formula you are created will be changed with the selected cell.) Then, check the worksheets which you want to extract the cell references from. See screenshot:
4. Then click Fill Range button, and the cell values of cell B6 from other worksheets have been listed vertically in the Master worksheet, and then close this dialog box. See screenshot:
Note: With this utility, you can also fill the same cell references from other worksheets horizontally cell after cell into one worksheet. Meanwhile, you can extract the cell references from the specified worksheets.
Recommended Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI have create a stock sheet and opening stock list is there and i create 500 sheets for different items so how to put opening stock in all sheets at a time
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHello,
I have a list of students in column A and the schools they attend in G. I want a worksheet to populate all students who attend X school from the available worksheets. How would I do this? Thanks in advance!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI have a spreadsheet with all the months. I want some of the cells to carry over from the first month to the proceeding other (i.e., cell B12 in January can be linked to February - December cell B12).
How would I do this?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi, thanks it works with a workbook at my job. Thanks
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoDears,
Kindly note that I used Reference Same Cell From Multiple Worksheets With VBA Code and it works with me properly, however I need your help in how to me this code retrieve the values in the master sheet horizontal instead of vertical.
Best Regards, :-)