How to sum range of cells ignoring errors in Excel?
Sometimes, there may be some error values in your worksheet, but now you would like to sum the selected range of cells ignoring the error values. If you apply the Sum function for the range directly, you will get the wrong result. Here, I will introduce you some easy and effective methods.
Find and select error values and replace them with other value:
Kutools for Excel’s Error Condition Wizard can help you quickly find the error values and replace them with blanks or any text or numbers you need.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
Supposing you have a range of cell values as following screenshot shown, you can apply this array formula to sum the range with ignoring errors. Please do as this:
1. In a blank cell, enter this formula =SUM(IF(ISERROR(A1:C6),"",A1:C6)), see screenshot:
Note: in the above formula, A1:C6 is the range that you want to sum, you can change it as you need.
2. Then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously to finish it. And you will get the following result:
The following VBA code also can help you quickly to get the sum of the cell values with errors.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module window.
VBA code: sum range of cells with ignoring errors
Sub SumNumNoError() 'Update 20130907 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim xSum As Long On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each Rng In WorkRng If Not (IsError(Rng.Value)) Then xSum = xSum + Rng.Value End If Next MsgBox xSum End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run the code, and prompt box will pop out to remind you select the range that you want to sum.
4. And then click OK, you will get a prompt box to show the result as follows.
If you want to get the calculations, such as sum, count, average of a range cells excluding the error values, Kutools for Excel may help you, you can apply the Select cells with Error Value and Select Range Helper utilities to deal with this job.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to calculate without the error values.
2. Click Kutools > Select > Select Cells with Error Value, see screenshot:
3. And then all the error values have been selected at once, and go on clicking Kutools > Select > Select Range Helper, see screenshot:
4. In the Select Range Helper dialog box, select Inverse Selection option, and then drag the cursor select the range that you want to select only the numbers, when you release the mouse, the selected error values in former step have been deselected, and only the number cells have been selected, see screenshot:
5. And now, the calculations of the cells ignoring the errors, such as sum, average, count have been displayed at the status bar, see screenshot:
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...