How to make a cumulative average chart in Excel?
In some cases, maybe you want to show your apartment's monthly cumulative average of the rent or profit in your yearly chart, how can you do? Now, I talk about the steps on making a cumulative average chart in Excel for you.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Make a cumulative average chart in Excel
1. Type the list of data you need to calculate the cumulative average in a worksheet such as the following screenshot:
2. Then select a blank cell, for instance, the Cell C2, type this formula =AVERAGE(B$2:B2) (the cell B$2 indicates the start data of the profit, the cell B2 stands the profit in the specific month) in to it, and click Enter button. See screenshot:
3. Then drag the fill handle to fill the range you want to calculate the cumulative averages. See screenshot:
4. You can specify the number of the decimal part with these steps: firstly select the data range; secondly right click to select Formats Cells from the context menu; then click Number from the Category: box under the Number tab, and specify the Decimal places in the right section. Here, I specify it as 0. See screenshot:
5. Select the data range and click Insert > Column > Clustered Column, see screenshot:
6. Select one Average column (the green bricks) and right click to select Change Series Chart Type from the context menu. See screenshot:
7. In the Change Chart Type dialog, select a line type you want, and click OK to close the dialog. See screenshot:
If you are using Excel 2013, go to the Choose the chart type and axis for your date series: box in the Change Chart Type dialog, click the Average box and specify one line style in its drop down list, at last click the OK to exit this dialog. See the following screenshot:
8. Then right click the line in the chart, and select Add Data Labels from the context menu. See screenshot:
9. Then click the Month series, and delete it, and you can see the cumulative average chart has been made as shown as below: