How to hide / unhide all named ranges in Excel?
Named ranges are useful for us, with them we can finish some complex problem in Excel. Sometimes, the named ranges contain some important formulas, and you don’t want others to delete or modify the formulas in your names which may make the worksheets mess. In this case, you can hide your named ranges to prevent others changing them.
In Excel there is no other way but using VBA codes to deal with hiding or displaying all named ranges. You can copy the following codes to hide or unhide range names in your workbook.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA: Hide all named ranges in Excel
Sub HideNames() 'Update 20140318 Dim xName As Name For Each xName In Application.ActiveWorkbook.Names xName.Visible = False Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and all of the named ranges in your workbook have been hidden. See screenshots:
For displaying all hidden named ranges in Excel, please run the below VBA code:
VBA: Display all named ranges in Excel
Sub ShowNames() 'Update 20140318 Dim xName As Name For Each xName In Application.ActiveWorkbook.Names xName.Visible = True Next End Sub
Besides the above VBA codes, here I recommend the Hide/Unhide Range Name utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can easily hide or unhide certain named ranges in your workbook.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Click Kutools > Name Tools > Hide/Unhide Range Name. See screenshot:
2. In the Hide/Unhide Range Name dialog box, you can see all named ranges in your workbook are listing in the Name list box.
You can uncheck the certain range name in the Name list box to hide the range name, or check the range name to display it in your workbook. See screenshot:
As shown in the above screenshot, the range names Add_range and Sheet1_range will display in the workbook, but the unchecked range names New_Range1 and Test_range will be hidden. See screenshot:
- How to quickly delete all named ranges in Excel?
- How to list named ranges in Excel?
- How to create dynamic named range in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!