How to calculate average without max and min values in Excel?
As we all known, the normal Average function will get the average value of all the selected cells in Excel. But here, you want to calculate the average excluding the highest and lowest values from the selected numbers, how could you solve this problem?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The following combined functions can help you to average a range of values without the max and min numbers, please do as this:
You can enter one of the above formulas into a blank cell, see screenshot:
Then press Enter key, and you will get the average result which ignoring one largest and one smallest number.
Note: In the above formulas, A2:A12 indicates the data range that you want to calculate, you can modify it as you need.
Besides the formulas, you can solve this task by creating a User Defined Function, do as following steps:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
Function Avewithoutmaxmin(region) As Variant 'Update 20140325 With Application Avewithoutmaxmin = (.Sum(region) - .Max(region) - .Min(region)) / _ (.Count(region) - 2) End With End Function
3. Save and close this code, then back to the worksheet, and enter this formula =Avewithoutmaxmin(A2:A12), (A2:A12 indicates the data range that you want to calculate the average excluding the max and min values, you can modify it as you need.) see screenshot:
4. Then press Enter key, and you will calculate the average value which excluding the max and min numbers.