How to find most common value (number or text string) from a list in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of names which contain some duplicates, and now, you want to extract the value that appears the most frequently. The direct way is to count the data one by one from the list to get the result, but if there are thousands of names in the column, this way will be troublesome and time-consuming. The following tutorial will introduce you some tricks to solve this task quickly and conveniently.
- Find the most common value (number or text string) from a list with Array Formula
- Find the most common value (number or text string) from a list with VBA code
- Quickly find the most comma value (number or text string) from a list/column with several clicks
Generally, we can apply the MODE function (=MODE(A1:A16)) to find the most common number from a range. But this MODE function does not work with text strings. To extract the most occurring value, you can apply the following array formula. Please do as this:
In a blank cell besides the data, enter below formula, and press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys together.
1. A1:A16 is the data range that you want to get the most frequent value. You can change it to your need.
2. This array formula cannot work when there are blank cells in the list.
|Formula is too complicated to remember? Save the formula as an Auto Text entry for reusing with only one click in future!
Read more… Free trial
With the following VBA code, you can not only find the most occurring value, but also count the number of times for the most common word.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Find the most common value from a list
Sub FindFrequency() 'Update 20140326 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Set dic = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary") On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) xMax = 0 xOutValue = "" For Each Rng In WorkRng xValue = Rng.Value If xValue <> "" Then dic(xValue) = dic(xValue) + 1 xCount = dic(xValue) If xCount > xMax Then xMax = xCount xOutValue = xValue End If End If Next MsgBox "The most common value is: " & xOutValue & " Appeared " & xMax & " Times" End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you to select the range that you want to use. See screenshot:
4. And then click OK, you will get a prompt box which displays the following information:
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can easily apply its Find most comma value formula to quickly get the most frequent value from a list or column in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell you will place the found value into, and click Kutools > Formula Helper> Formula Helper.
2. In the Formula Helper dialog box, choose Lookup from the Formula Type drop-down list, click to select Find most common value in the Choose a formula list box, specify the list/column in the Range box, and click the Ok button. See screenshot:
And then you will see the most common/frequent value have been found and placed into the selected cell. See screenshot: