How to filter data begins with number or letter in Excel?
Supposing, there is a list of data values which beginning with numeric numbers and followed by some letters or vice versa. And now you want to filter the data which begins with numbers or begins with letters only as following screenshots shown, are there any good tricks for solving this job in Excel?
|Filter begin with letters||Filter begin with numbers|
Unfortunately, there is no any direct feature for you to filter data which begins with only letter or number. But here, you can create a helper column to deal with it.
1. Next to your data list, enter this formula: =ISNUMBER(LEFT(A2)*1) (A2 indicates the first data excluding the header in your list) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to apply this formula, and all the data which begins with number will be displayed as TRUE, and the others which starts with letter are displayed as FALSE, see screenshot:
3. Then filter data by this new column, select cell B1, and click Data > Filter.
4. And then click button beside the cell B1, and check True or False as you need, see screenshot:
5. Then click OK, all the data you need have been filtered out. If you check True option, you will filter only the data which begins with number, and if you check False option, you will filter all the data which begins with letter. See screenshots:
|Filter data begins with number||Filter data begins with letter|
6. At last, you can delete the helper column as you want.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!