How to filter data begins with number or letter in Excel?
Supposing, there is a list of data values which beginning with numeric numbers and followed by some letters or vice versa. And now you want to filter the data which begins with numbers or begins with letters only as following screenshots shown, are there any good tricks for solving this job in Excel?
|Filter begin with letters||Filter begin with numbers|
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Unfortunately, there is no any direct feature for you to filter data which begins with only letter or number. But here, you can create a helper column to deal with it.
1. Next to your data list, enter this formula: =ISNUMBER(LEFT(A2)*1) (A2 indicates the first data excluding the header in your list) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to apply this formula, and all the data which begins with number will be displayed as TRUE, and the others which starts with letter are displayed as FALSE, see screenshot:
3. Then filter data by this new column, select cell B1, and click Data > Filter.
4. And then click button beside the cell B1, and check True or False as you need, see screenshot:
5. Then click OK, all the data you need have been filtered out. If you check True option, you will filter only the data which begins with number, and if you check False option, you will filter all the data which begins with letter. See screenshots:
|Filter data begins with number||Filter data begins with letter|
6. At last, you can delete the helper column as you want.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoThanx its working but please tell me how to apply this formula in more than 1 in one run