How to filter only integers (whole numbers) or decimal numbers in Excel?
If there is a list of numbers in your worksheet which contain whole numbers (integers) and decimal numbers, now you want to filter only the integers or non-integers from the list data as following screenshots shown, how could you solve it in Excel?
- Filter integers (whole numbers) or decimal numbers with a helper column
- Filter only integers (whole numbers) or decimal numbers by extracting the decimal numbers
- Filter integers (whole numbers) or decimal numbers with Kutools for Excel
In excel, you can identify the whole numbers or decimal numbers with a formula first and then filter the desired numbers as you need. Please do as these:
1. Next to the numbers column, please enter this formula =INT(A2)=A2 into blank cell B2, see screenshot:
2.Then drag the fill handle over to the cells that you want to contain this formula, the TRUE indicates whole numbers and FALSE indicates decimal numbers, see screenshot:
3. And then select column B, and click Data > Filter to filter the desired numbers as you want.
4. Click button beside the cell B1, and then check True or False as you need, see screenshot:
5. Then click OK, all the numbers you need have been filtered out. If you check True option, you will filter only the whole numbers, and if you check False option, you will get all the decimal numbers. See screenshots:
6. At last, you can delete the helper column as you need.
If you can extract the numbers after the decimal, and place the extracted numbers besides original number, we can easily filter integers or decimal numbers by this new helper column in Excel. Here, I will introduce Kutools for Excel's Extract Text utility to archive it.
1. Select the number cells you will filter, and click Kutools > Text > Extract Text.
2. In the opening Extract Text dialog box, please type .* into the Text box, click Add button, next only check the new added rule in the Extract list section, and click the Ok button.
We place the extracted numbers besides original column. See screenshot:
3. Select he cell above extracted numbers (Cell B1 in our case), and click Data > Filter. And then click the Arrow in the cell, and specify the filter rule as below screenshot shown:
(1) For filtering only integer numbers, please uncheck the Select All option firstly, next check the (Blanks) option only, and click the OK button;
(2) For filtering only decimal numbers, please check the Select All option firstly, next uncheck the (Blanks) options only, and click the OK button.
Now only integer numbers or decimal numbers are filtered out at once.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its Super Filter utility to filter out only the whole number or only the decimal numbers easily. You can do as follows:
1. Enable the Super Filter pane with clicking the Kutools Plus > Super Filter.
2. In the opening Super Filter pane, please do as follows:
(1) Click the Browse button and select the data range that you will filter.
(2) Move mouse over the Or to display the filter criteria section, and click the first box and specify the column that you will filter by whole number or decimal number;
(3) Click the second box and select the Text from the drop down list;
(4) Click the third box and select the Contains from the drop down list.
Note: If you want to filter out only whole numbers, please select the Does not contain from the drop down list.
(5) In the last box, enter the dot “.”. See screen shot below:
3. Click the Filter button.
Now you will see only whole numbers or only decimal numbers are filtered out as following screen shot shown:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)