How to find first / last day or working day of a month in Excel?
Do you know how to find the first or last day and the first or last working day of a given month date in a worksheet? For example, I have a date 2014/5/21, and now I want to know the first and last day of this month, that is 2014/5/1 and 2014/5/31, to get the first business day is 2014/5/1 and the last business day is 2014/5/30. This article will describe how to extract the first or last day and first or last working day in Excel of a given month.
To return the first day of a month, you can use this Date function, please do as these:
1. Enter this formula =DATE(YEAR(B1),MONTH(B1),1) into a blank cell (B1 contains the date that you want to use), see screenshot:
2. And press Enter key, you will get the first day of this month.
Note: In order to get the last day of this month, you need to apply this formula: =DATE(YEAR(B1),1+MONTH(B1),1)-1, see screenshots:
In certain situation, you may want to know which day is the first or last business day of a given month date, and the following formulas can help you quickly calculate the results as you need.
1. To return the first working day of a month:
Apply this formula: =WORKDAY(DATE(YEAR(B1),MONTH(B1),1)-1,1) into a blank cell (B1 has the date that you want to use), and then press Enter key, the date of first working day will be calculated. See screenshots:
2.To return the last working day of a month:
Please enter this formula: =WORKDAY(DATE(YEAR(B1),MONTH(B1)+1,1),-1) to extract the last working days of a given month date, see screenshots:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!