How to sum or average unique values only in Excel?
In a worksheet, there is a list of numbers which have some duplicate values, and now, you just want to sum or average the unique values only. Do you have any good methods to finish this job in Excel?
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
To only add the unique numbers together, you can use these formulas:
1. Type this formula: =SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(A2:A15,A2:A15&""),A2:A15) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and the numbers which appear only one time have been added up.
1. Here is another formula also can help you: =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(A2:A15<>"",MATCH(A2:A15,A2:A15,0)),ROW(A2:A15)-ROW(A2)+1),A2:A15)), remember to press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.
2. In the above formula, A2:A15 is the data range that you want to apply the calculation, you can change the arguments as you need.
3. The unique values including the first duplicate.
If you want to calculate the average of the unique values only, please use the following formulas:
1. Enter one of the following formulas:
2. And then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys, and you will get the result of the calculation.
Tip: The unique values including the first duplicate.
Sometimes, you may mess up by the above long formulas, and just want to view the calculated result. In this case, Kutools for Excel’s Select Duplicate & Unique cells function can help you select all the unique values first and the calculation result are displayed at the status bar as well.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as following steps:
1. Select your data range that you want to do some calculation.
2. Click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells, see screenshot:
3. Then in the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, choose Unique values only or All unique (Including 1st duplicates) option as you need. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK to select all the unique numbers, at the same time the result of the calculations are displayed in the status bar. See screenshot:
Tip: If you want to sum or average the unique values which not including first duplicate, you can check Unique Values only in the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box.