How to sum or average unique values only in Excel?
In a worksheet, there is a list of numbers which have some duplicate values, and now, you just want to sum or average the unique values only. Do you have any good methods to finish this job in Excel?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To only add the unique numbers together, you can use these formulas:
1. Type this formula: =SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(A2:A15,A2:A15&""),A2:A15) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and the numbers which appear only one time have been added up.
1. Here is another formula also can help you: =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(A2:A15<>"",MATCH(A2:A15,A2:A15,0)),ROW(A2:A15)-ROW(A2)+1),A2:A15)), remember to press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.
2. In the above formula, A2:A15 is the data range that you want to apply the calculation, you can change the arguments as you need.
3. The unique values including the first duplicate.
If you want to calculate the average of the unique values only, please use the following formulas:
1. Enter one of the following formulas:
2. And then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys, and you will get the result of the calculation.
Tip: The unique values including the first duplicate.
Sometimes, you may mess up by the above long formulas, and just want to view the calculated result. In this case, Kutools for Excel’s Select Duplicate & Unique cells function can help you select all the unique values first and the calculation result are displayed at the status bar as well.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as following steps:
1. Select your data range that you want to do some calculation.
2. Click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells, see screenshot:
3. Then in the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, choose Unique values only or All unique (Including 1st duplicates) option as you need. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK to select all the unique numbers, at the same time the result of the calculations are displayed in the status bar. See screenshot:
Tip: If you want to sum or average the unique values which not including first duplicate, you can check Unique Values only in the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box.