How to average absolute values in Excel?
If you have a list of values which contain both positive numbers and negative numbers, and now, you want to calculate the average of the absolute values of these numbers in the worksheet. Do you have any good ideas to solve this problem?
Generally speaking, you may use the ABS function to get the absolute values of all the numbers, and then apply AVERAGE function to calculate the result. Please do as follows:
1. Next to your data, enter this formula: =ABS(A2), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to apply this formula, and all the values have been converted to the absolute values. See screenshot:
3. Then, you can apply the AVERAGE function by type =AVERAGE(B2:B13) (B2:B13 is the range you want to calculate their average) into a cell to get the average of these absolute values, see screenshot:
Maybe the above method is a little troublesome, here are some simple formulas also can help you.
1. Enter this array formula: =AVERAGE(ABS(A2:A13)) into a blank cell next to the data, see screenshot:
2. Then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together to calculate the result.
Note: If you want to ignore 0 or blank cells when average the absolute values, you can use this array formula: =AVERAGE(IF(A2:A13<>"",ABS(A2:A13))), and remember to press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.
With Kutools for Excel's Change Sign of Values utility, you can change all negative values into positive first and then apply =AVERAGE function to get the average.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the values and then click Kutools > Content > Change Sign of Values. See screenshot:
2. In the popped out dialog, check Change all negative values to positive option . See screenshot:
3. Then select a blank cell to type =AVERAGE(L1:L15) (L1:L15 is the values you want to get average) and press Enter to get the average.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!