How to average only positive or negative numbers in Excel?
May be, sometimes, you need to calculate the average of only positive or negative numbers from a range which contains both positive and negative values in your worksheet, the normal AVERAGE function will not solve this task. This tutorial will show you how to average only positive or negative numbers in Excel.
To average only the positive numbers in a range, you can use the following Array formula, please do as this:
1. Enter this formula: =AVERAGE(IF(A1:D10>0,A1:D10,"")) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
2. Then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together, and you will get the result as following screenshot shown:
1. In the above formula, A1:D10 is the data range that you want to calculate the average.
2. To get the result of only the negative numbers, please apply this formula: =AVERAGE(IF(A1:D10<0,A1:D10,"")), and remember to press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, with its Select Specific Cells feature, you can select the positive or negative numbers first, and then view the result of the calculation from the status bar.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the data range that you want to use.
2. Click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, check Cell option under Selection type, to select all the positive numbers by selecting Greater than, and to select the negative numbers, please choose Less than from the Specific type drop down list, and enter the criteria into the text box, here enter 0 into the box, click Ok, a dialog pops out to remind you the cells have been selected, click OK to close it. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK to close this dialog, and all of your desired numbers have been selected, and you can go to the status bar to view the calculation results:
|The result of only the positive numbers||The result of only the negative numbers|