How to convert scientific notation to text or number in Excel?
Generally speaking, when you enter the number which length is longer than 11 digits, Excel will convert it to scientific notation automatically. And these scientific notations are very annoying, so you want to convert them to normal numbers as left screenshots shown. How could you solve this task in Excel?
Before you enter the numbers, you can type a single quote ’ first, and the numbers will not become the scientific notation, see the following screenshots:
If you have a lot of numbers which are displayed as the scientific notation, and you are tired of entering them repeatedly with the above method, you can convert them with the Format Cells function in Excel.
1. Select the data range that you want to convert.
2. Right click, and choose Format Cells from the context menu, see screenshot:
3. In the Format Cells dialog, under the Number tab, click Custom from the Category list box, input the number 0 into the Type box, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK button, and the cell numbers which displayed as scientific notation have been converted to normal numbers.
The following formulas also can help you to convert the list of scientific notation to text.
1. Please enter this formula: =trim(A1) into a blank cell, B1 for instance, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to apply this formula, and you will get the result as you want:
Note: This UPPER function: =UPPER(A1) also can help you, please apply any one as you like.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, you can use the Convert between Text and Number feature to finish this job.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Highlight the data range that you want to convert.
2. Click Kutools > Content > Convert between Text and Number, see screenshot:
3. In the Convert between Text and Number dialog box, check Number to text option, and then click OK or Apply button, the numbers displayed as scientific notation have been converted to normal numbers in the original range. See screenshot:
If the length of your number is longer than 15 digits, it will not be converted to the complete numbers as you need. You just need to type the single quote before your input number or format your selected range as Text format in the Format Cells dialog box before you entering the numbers.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!