How to check if a year is a leap year in Excel?
Do you know how to determine if a year is a leap year or not? In Excel, there is no direct method for you to check it, but you can create user defined function or formula to solve this problem.
Supposing you have a list of year in the worksheet, the following long formula can help you to determine if a given year is a leap year or not. Please do as this:
1. Besides the year cells, in a blank cell, enter this formula:
=IF(OR(MOD(A2,400)=0,AND(MOD(A2,4)=0,MOD(A2,100)<>0)),"Leap Year", "NOT a Leap Year"), (A2 contains year that you want to apply this formula, you can change it to your need) see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contain this formula, and all the years have been checked if they are leap years or not.
Note: If the relative cell is blank, this formula will show Leap Year, too.
You can also create User Defined Function to check if the year is a leap year, you can complete it as these:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: check if a year is a leap year
Function IsLeapYear(pYear As Integer) As Boolean 'Update 20140623 If (pYear Mod 4) = 0 And (pYear Mod 100) <> 0 Or ((pYear Mod 400) = 0) Then IsLeapYear = True Else IsLeapYear = False End If End Function
3. Then save and close this code, go back to your worksheet, and enter this formula: =isleapyear(A2), see screenshot:
4. Then drag the fill handle to the cells that you want to contain this formula, and all the years have been checked off, the FALSE stands for not a leap year and the TRUE indicates a leap year. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!