How to prevent others from inserting worksheet in Excel?
Supposing, you have a workbook which will sent to other users for viewing or checking its content, however, you don’t want others to insert any new worksheets to this workbook for preventing the workbook from becoming messy. In this article, I will talk about how to prevent others from inserting worksheets in a workbook.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Excel provides a feature – Protect Workbook for you, with it, you can protect the workbook structure which will not be inserted, deleted, renamed or do other operations. Please do as follows:
1. Go to click Review > Protect Workbook, see screenshot:
2. In the Protect Structure and Windows dialog box, check Structure option, and enter your password into the text box, click OK to show the Confirm Password dialog, and reenter your password. See screenshots:
3. Then click OK to close the dialogs, and now when you insert new worksheet in this workbook, the insert worksheet feature will not be available.
Note: With this function, the following grey items enable to use in this workbook, too.
If you just want to prevent others from inserting worksheets, but also can do others operations, the above method has its limitation. Here, the following VBA code can do you a favor.
1. Open your workbook which you want to disable to insert worksheets.
2. Then hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. In the left VBAProject pane, double click ThisWorkbook to open the Module, then copy and paste the following code.
VBA code: prevent others from inserting worksheet
Private Sub Workbook_NewSheet(ByVal Sh As Object) 'Update 20140623 With Application Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.DisplayAlerts = False Sh.Delete Application.DisplayAlerts = True Application.ScreenUpdating = True End With MsgBox "disable to add sheets" End Sub
4. Then save and close this code, return to the workbook, and now, when you try to insert a new worksheet into this workbook, a warning box will pop out to remind you can’t insert sheets. See screenshot:
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoThis code does not work on a shared worksheet; when I click the "Insert Worksheet" tab I get "Run-time error 1004, Delete Method of Worksheet class failed". Can you give any advice on how to solve this?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoMost of time my user create more worksheet which is confusing this really helps me.