How to quickly add dashes to multiple phone numbers in Excel?
Add dashes to phone numbers with formulas
Add dashes to phone numbers with Format Cells function
Add dashes to phone numbers with Add Text of Kutools for Excel
In Excel, you can use the following simple formulas to add dashes to the phone numbers with these steps:
1. In a blank cell which besides your phone numbers to enter this formula: =REPLACE(REPLACE(A2,4,0,"-"),8,0,"-"), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to apply this formula, and the dashes have been inserted into the phone numbers.
1. Except the above formula, here is another formula also can help you: =TEXT(A2,"???-???-????"). You can use any of them.
2. In the above formulas, A2 indicates the cell that contains the phone number you want to add dashes. You can change this arguments as you need.
Add same text to a specific location of each cell in Excel
|How could you add text or characters to the beginning of multiple cells, or add text or characters to the end of cells or insert text or characters between existing text? With Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly apply the following operations: . Click for full-featured free trial in
|Kutools for Excel: with more than
300handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in full future
The Format Cells feature in Excel also can help you to deal with this task. Please do as these:
1. Select the phone numbers that you want to add the dashes.
2. Right click to choose Format Cells from the context menu, see screenshot:
3. Then in the Format Cells dialog, click Custom option from Category pane under Number tab, and then enter this ###-###-#### format into the Type text box, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK, the list of phone numbers in your selection have been inserted the dashes.
Actually, if you like to try new thing, you can try on Kutools for Excel’s Add Text utility, it can help you add text in anywhere of a cell as you need.
| Kutools for Excel, with more than
300handy functions, makes your jobs easier.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the numbers you want to add dashes, and click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, type – into the Text box, and check Specify option, then type 3,6 into the below textbox, you can see the adding result in the preview pane.
(1). Here I add dash after the third and sixth characters of the string, you can change it as you need.
(2). Make sure uncheck Skip non-text cells option.
3. Click Apply, and the first dash has been added to each cell.
With Add Text utility, you can quickly add a same text in the same place to multiple cells.
Click here to know more about Add Text.
|Kutools for Excel:
300+ functions you must have in Excel,
30-day free trial from here
You maybe interested in this: