How to quickly generate random time in Excel?
In Excel, in a common situation, most of us may need to insert random numbers, date or text strings as our desired. But sometimes, have you ever tried to insert times randomly in a range of cells? Actually, we can apply some formulas to insert random time into the worksheet.
Insert Random numbers / text strings / dates / Times into worksheet：
Kutools for Excel’s Insert Random Data feature can help you quickly generate random numbers, text strings, date, time and custom list as you need.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
The following formulas can help you to generate random time in a range of cells, please do as these:
Generate random time in Excel
1. Please enter this formula in a blank cell =TEXT(RAND(),"HH:MM:SS"), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range cells that you want to fill with the random time.
Generate random time between two times in Excel
If you want to generate random time between two given times, such as generate time from 6 o’clock to 9 o’clock, you can use below formula.
Type this formula: =TEXT(RAND()*(9-6)/24+6/24,"HH:MM:SS") into a blank cell, and drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to insert the time.
And you will get the random time which between 6 o’clock and 9 o’clock. See screenshot:
Note: In the above formula =TEXT(RAND()*(9-6)/24+6/24,"HH:MM:SS "), the numbers 9 and 6 stand for the two given time. You can change them as you need.
Generate random date and time between two dates in Excel
Here is also a formula which can help you to generate random date and time in the worksheet.
Please enter this formula: =TEXT(RAND()*("2014-05-31 12:00:00"-"2014-4-1 9:00")+"2014-4-1 9:00:00","yyyy-mm-dd h:m:s") into a blank cell, (in this formula, 2014-05-31 12:00:00 stands for the end date and time, and 2014-4-1 9:00:00 is the start date and time, you can modify them to your need), then drag the fill handle to the cells that you want to insert the date and time.
If you are tired of the formulas, here, I can talk about an easy way to solve it. With Kutools for Excel’s Insert Random Data utility, you can quickly insert random numbers, date, time, and other text strings.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select a blank range of cells that you want to insert random time.
2. Click Kutools > Insert > Insert Random Data, see screenshot:
3. In the Insert Random Data dialog box, click Time tab, and then enter the start time into the From box, and type the end time into the To box, see screenshot:
Tips: To insert some random distinct time, please check Unique values option.
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, the random time has been inserted into the cells. See screenshot:
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoIs this a scam?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoThanks for the post, i really needed random hour, and this helped me a lot!!