How to sort numbers with hyphens in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of numbers which including hyphens between them, normally, if you apply the Sort feature, you will get all the hyphenated numbers are sorted at top or at bottom together. But, here, you want to sort the numbers with hyphens in normal order as following screenshot shown. How could you solve this job in Excel?
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
To sort hyphenated numbers in normal order, you can create a helper column and then sort by the new column, you can finish this task with following steps:
1. Adjacent with your data, enter this formula: =TEXT(A2,"@"), (A2 is the cell which has the number you want to use, please change it to your need.) see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contain this formula, see screenshot:
3. And then apply the Sort feature by clicking Data > Sort A to Z or Sort Z to A as you want, and a Sort Warning prompt box will pop out, check Expand the selection in the prompt box, see screenshots:
4. Then click Sort button, and your data has been sorted as your want. See screenshot:
5. At last, you can delete the helper column B according to your need.
How to sort numbers within a cell in Excel?