How to sort numbers within a cell in Excel?
It is easy and common for us to sort numbers in a list of column, but have you ever tried to sort numbers within a single cell? May be there is no good way for you except arrange them one by one, here, I will talk about how to sort numbers within cells in Excel.
To sort numbers within cells in a worksheet, you can apply the following long formula, please do as this:
1. Next to your data, please enter the following formula, in this example, I will type it into cell C1, see screenshot:
2. Then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together, then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to apply this formula, and you will get the numbers have been sorted from small to large. See screenshot:
1. If the digit of the number is more than 15 in the cell, this formula will not get the correct result.
2. If you want to sort the numbers in descending order, you can use this formula: =TEXT(SUM(LARGE(--MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))))*10^(LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))))),REPT("0",LEN(A1))).
3. In the above formulas, A1 indicates the cell which contains the numbers you want to sort, you can change it to your need.
As there are some limitations of the formula, you can use the following User Defined Function to sort numbers in cells longer than 15 digits.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Sort numbers within cells
Function SortNumsInCell(pNum As String, Optional pOrder As Boolean) As String 'Update 20140717 Dim xOutput As String For i = 0 To 9 For j = 1 To UBound(VBA.Split(pNum, i)) xOutput = IIf(pOrder, i & xOutput, xOutput & i) Next Next SortNumsInCell = xOutput End Function
3. Then save and close this code, go back to your worksheet, and enter this formula =sortnumsincell(A1) into a blank cell next to your data, see screenshot:
4. And then drag the fill handle to the cells that you want to contain this formula, and all the numbers in the cells have been sorted in ascending order as following screenshot shown:
Note: If you want to sort the numbers in descending order, please enter this formula =sortnumsincell(A1,1).
If your numbers are separated by certain characters such as comma, semicolon, period and so on as following screenshot, how could you sort them in cells? Now, I introduce a VBA code for you to sort them.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Sort numbers are separated by commas within cells
Sub SortNumsInRange() 'Update 20140717 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim Arr As Variant On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) Set objArrayList = CreateObject("System.Collections.ArrayList") For Each Rng In WorkRng Arr = VBA.Split(Rng.Value, ",") For i = 0 To UBound(Arr) xMin = i For j = i + 1 To UBound(Arr) If Arr(xMin) > Arr(j) Then xMin = j End If Next j If xMin <> i Then temp = Arr(i) Arr(i) = Arr(xMin) Arr(xMin) = temp End If Next i Rng.Value = VBA.Join(Arr, ",") Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and then select your cells which contain the numbers in the popped out prompt box, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK, all the numbers in the cells have been sorted ascendingly in the original range.
Note: You can change the comma “,” to any other characters as you need in the above code. And this code only can sort data ascendingly.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 10 days agoHola, se pueden ordenar letras en una sola celda por orden alfabético? Yo uso excel para Mac. Gracias
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi thanks for nice good for sorting numbers which separated by commas within cells with VBA codeJust I have faced one problem with the code.The code cannot detect three digit number. for example the numbers (65, 93, 53, 72, 64, 85, 103, 48, 77, 81, 54) after applying the code, the new order (103, 48, 53, 54, 64, 65, 72, 77, 81, 85, 93)Do you have any solution for the problem?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHello, omer,May be the below code can help you, please try:Public Function CellSort(r As Range) As String Dim bry() As Long, L As Long, U As Long ch = r(1).Text ary = Split(ch, ",") L = LBound(ary) U = UBound(ary) ReDim bry(L To U) For i = LBound(ary) To UBound(ary) bry(i) = CLng(ary(i)) Next i Call BubbleSort(bry) For i = LBound(bry) To UBound(bry) ary(i) = CStr(bry(i)) Next i CellSort = Join(ary, ",") End Function Sub BubbleSort(arr) Dim strTemp As Variant Dim i As Long Dim j As Long Dim lngMin As Long Dim lngMax As Long lngMin = LBound(arr) lngMax = UBound(arr) For i = lngMin To lngMax - 1 For j = i + 1 To lngMax If arr(i) > arr(j) Then strTemp = arr(i) arr(i) = arr(j) arr(j) = strTemp End If Next j Next i End SubAfter inserting the above code, please apply this formula: =CellSort(A1).And you will get the result you need.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHow to sort A-Z text within a cell in Excel?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agohOLA, MI PROBLEMA ES QUE TENGO EXEL 2019 EN ESPAÑOL COMO SERIA LA FORMULA?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHi, the VBA code seems to output incorrectly, example before 13,50,47,7,39 and after 13-39-47-50-7. Any ideas why?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoi want to sort total an amount 14000 to 20000 from various row Example:- 2000,1500 one row and like that all row amount to arrange
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoneed to sort 84-12-74-26-98 any order 12-26-74-84-98 or 98-84-74-26-12
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoIf CInt(Arr(xMin)) > CInt(Arr(j)) and it works
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoIs there is any way to sort more numbers in same time from one cell? Example, i have a list of 50000 asset numbers such as A1234,A1235... and i need to pull 500 specific numbers and i need to pull 500 at the time to make change and save.Thank you
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoI have a series of cells with numbers separated by a space that I want to sort.
eg 8 4 5 1 6 3 that I want to sort as 1 3 4 5 6 8
Any help appreciated
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoHi, I was wondering how this UDF, [b]=sortnumsincell(A1,1)[/b], can be modified more generally, like [b]=sortnumsincell(A1," "," ",,1)[/b] where the first argument, [b]A1[/b], is the target cell, the second argument,[b]" "[/b], is a delimiter that could take any character, or a space, or nothing, with third argument, [b]" "[/b], a different or same delimiter, and the fourth argument, [b]1 or 0[/b], indicating an ascending or descending sort, with the result string displaying, correctly sorted, within one cell, with delimiter default same as the original string unless specified in the third term. I would like it to work both on string and numerical, and sometimes the second or third argument might be a line feed, as would be manually entered with alt-enter.
You'd be my hero of the month if you could do that. I tried but failed miserably.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agosir, could you please help to sort the data for the duplicate first whether it's small or big
1211 ---> 1112
9495 ---> 9945
7379 ---> 7739
Thanks a lot for your help