How to repeat cell value x times in Excel?
For example, you have a list of values in Column A, and you want to repeat the values specific number of times based on the number times in Column B, as left screenshot shown, how could you achieve this in Excel?
To repeat the cell values X times, you can insert some helper columns and then apply some simple formula, please do with following steps:
1. Insert a column to the left of column A, and type 1 in cell A2, see screenshot:
2. Then put this formula =A2 + C2 into A3, and drag the fill handle to the cell A6, see screenshot:
3. And then enter 1 in cell D2, and fill the number by dragging the Auto Fill to 12 which is the total number of the times number in column C, see screenshot:
4. Then enter this formula =VLOOKUP(D2,$A$1:$B$6,2) into cell E2 and copy down, you will get the following result:
If you consider the first method is difficult to understand, here, I can also introduce you VBA code to solve it.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Repeat cell values X times
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will appear to remind you to select the range which contains the values and repeated times, see screenshot:
Sub CopyData() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim Rng As Range Dim InputRng As Range, OutRng As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8) Set OutRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type:=8) Set OutRng = OutRng.Range("A1") For Each Rng In InputRng.Rows xValue = Rng.Range("A1").Value xNum = Rng.Range("B1").Value OutRng.Resize(xNum, 1).Value = xValue Set OutRng = OutRng.Offset(xNum, 0) Next End Sub
4. And click OK, another prompt box will pop out to let you select a cell to put the result, see screenshot:
5. Then click OK, and you will get the result that your selected values have been repeated specified times as you need.
Sometimes, you may need to copy and insert the cell values x times based on the specific number, Kutools for Excel's Duplicate Rows / Columns based on cell value can help you quickly copy and insert the rows based on the number you specified.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Click Kutools > Insert > Duplicate Rows / Columns based on cell value, see screenshot:
2. In the Copy and insert rows & columns dialog box, select Copy and insert rows option in the Type section, then select the data range you want to duplicate, and then specify the repeat time to copy and insert the rows, see screenshot:
4. Then, click Ok or Apply button, you will get the following result as you need:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!