How to filter cells with question mark in Excel?
Normally, the question mark “?” always be used as a wildcard for single character in Excel. And here, I have a list of text values which contain the question marks in cells, now I need to filter the cells which include the question marks as following screenshots shown.
Unfortunately, if I apply the Filter feature in Excel directly, I will not get the correct result. Is there any good trick for us to deal with this problem?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Here is a little trick for you to filter the cells which contain the question marks, please do as follows:
1. Select your data column that you want to filter.
2. Then click Data > Filter, and a button will appear at the right bottom of the first cell, click it, and choose Text Filters > Contains, see screenshot:
3. Then, in the Custom AutoFilter dialog box, please enter ~? into the text box besides Contains box, see screenshot:
Note: the ~ symbol is above the Tab key on your keyboard.
4. And then click OK, only the cells which contain the question marks have been filtered out.