How to sort date by day of week in Excel?
If you have a list of date, and you want to sort them by the day of a week as shown as below, how can you solve this problem? Here I tell you a quick way to sort them by day of week in Excel.
For sorting date by weekday in Excel, you need to create a help column to get the weekday first, then apply Sort function.
1. Select a cell adjacent to the date data, and type this formula =WEEKDAY(A1) into it, and press Enter button, then drag the Auto Fill to apply this formula to the range you need. See screenshot:
2. Then select Column B, and click Data, and select the sort order you want. See screenshot:
3. In the Sort Warning dialog, check Expand the selection option and click Sort. See screenshot:
Now, you can see the dates are sorted by weekday.
1. The above formula can help you sort date by weekday from Sunday to Saturday, if you want to sort weekday from Monday to Sunday, you can use this formula =WEEKDAY(A2,2).
2. You can remove the help column if you do not need it any more.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!