How to sort date by day of week in Excel?
If you have a list of date, and you want to sort them by the day of a week as shown as below, how can you solve this problem? Here I tell you a quick way to sort them by day of week in Excel.
Sort date by weekday
Enable you to do smarter, faster and better
Kutools - the best office productivity tool brings
300 advanced features to Excel. Details... Download...
Office Tab - brings tabbed interface to Excel and Word, make your work much easier. Details...Download...
Sort date by weekday
For sorting date by weekday in Excel, you need to create a help column to get the weekday first, then apply Sort function.
1. Select a cell adjacent to the date data, and type this formula =WEEKDAY(A1) into it, and press Enter button, then drag the Auto Fill to apply this formula to the range you need. See screenshot:
2. Then select Column B, and click Data, and select the sort order you want. See screenshot:
3. In the Sort Warning dialog, check Expand the selection option and click Sort. See screenshot:
Now, you can see the dates are sorted by weekday.
1. The above formula can help you sort date by weekday from Sunday to Saturday, if you want to sort weekday from Monday to Sunday, you can use this formula =WEEKDAY(A2,2).
2. You can remove the help column if you do not need it any more.
Excel Productivity Tools
300 powerful advanced features to Excel, enable you to do smarter, faster and better.
- No longer need memorizing formulas and VBA codes, give your brain a rest from now on.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes, Complicated and repeated operations can be done in seconds,
- Reduce thousands of keyboard & mouse operations every day, say goodbye to occupational diseases now.
- 110,000 highly effective people and 300+ world-renowned companies' choice.
- 60-day full features free trial. 60-day money back guarantees. 2 years of free upgrade and support.
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!