How to extract username from email addresses in Excel?
As we all know, email address contains two parts which are user name and domain name. But, in certain case, you may need to extract user name from the email address in your worksheet. Are there any good ways for you to get the user name from the email address?
To extract the full user name from the email address, you can use the mixed Left and Find function.
1. In a blank cell next to your email address, C2, for example, enter this formula: =LEFT(A2,FIND("@",A2)-1),(A2 contains the email address that you want to extract its user name, you can change it as you want), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to your range cells that you want to contain this formula, and all the user names in the cells have been extracted as follows:
If you want to extract the first name and last name into separate columns, the following formulas can do you a favor.
To get the first name: =LEFT(LEFT(A2,FIND(".",A2)-1),FIND("@",A2)-1)
To get the last name: =LEFT(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND(".",A2)),FIND("@",RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND(".",A2)))-1)
Please enter the above formulas into blank cells as you need, and drag the fill handle down to the range that you want to apply the formulas, and then you will see all the first name and last names have been returned into two columns separately. See screenshot:
1. If there isn’t last name within the user name, the formula will return an error value.
2. "." in the above formula indicates the separator between first name and last name, you can change "." to meet your need.
3. If there is no separator between first name and last name of the email address, this formula cannot work.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!