How to sum diagonal of a range in Excel?
When you do some arithmetic calculations, you may need to sum numbers diagonally in a table. In fact, you can also sum diagonal numbers in Excel which doesn’t require you to sum the numbers one by one. If you want to know more about this question, please read the following article.
Supposing I have the following data range, and now I want to get the result of the summation of the diagonal cells.
1. Sum cells diagonal down and to the right
If you want to sum the cells diagonal from top left corner to lower right corner（A1+B2+C3+D4）, the following formulas can help you.
Please enter this formula =SUM(A1:D4*(ROW(A1:D4)=COLUMN(A1:D4))) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
And then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together, and you will get the result as you want.
2. Sum cells diagonal up and to the right
To sum the diagonal cells from lower left corner to top right corner (A4+B3+C2+D1), you should apply the following formula: =SUM(A1:D4*(ROWS(A1:D4)+1-ROW(A1:D4)=COLUMN(A1:D4))), and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys to get the correct result. See screenshots:
1. The arguments A1: D4 is the data range that you want to sum the diagonal cells.
2. These formulas only are applied to the range cells which have the same column number and row number, such as 5 column and 5 row.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!