How to sort without first row in Excel?
Sort feature in Excel is useful for us Excel users. Sometimes, we want to sort a column excluding the first row, I believe that you have your own methods to solve this problem. But here I sort out some tricks for you to pick up the best way to sort data without first row in Excel.
The easiest way to sort excluding first row must be unselecting the first row.
Please select the column data from the second row data to the end of the data, or you can select the data of second row then press Ctrl + Shift + keys simultaneously to quickly select the data range from the second row to the end. Then you can sort the data excluding first row.
Tip: If the data is now continuously, the shortcuts do not work.
You also can apply Sort feature to sort the data without first row.
Select the whole column or the column range you need, and click Data > Sort, then check the option as you need and click Sort, and in the Sort dialog check My data has headers option. See screenshot:
Then you can specify the sort criteria in the Sort dialog and click OK to close the dialog.
With Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort feature, you not only can sort the data without first row, but also can do advanced sorting operations.
Select the column range you will sort without the first row, and then click the Enterprise > Advanced Sort.
In the Advance Sort dialog, check the option of My data has headers, then specify the column you will sort, sort criteria, and sort order, at last click the OK button.
If you want to sort data excluding first row and then do operations which are also excluding the first row, you can hide the first row.
Select first row and right click to show context menu, then click Hide. See screenshot:
Then after sorting or other operations have been completed, select the second row and right click to select Unhide in context menu.
Inserting a table is also a good way to sort data excluding first row.
1. Select the data range you want to sort (including first row), then click Insert > Table. See screenshot:
2. In Create Table dialog, check My data has headers option. See screenshot:
3. Click OK, then in the table you can sort the data excluding first row by clicking the arrow and select the sort order you need. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!