How to sort without first row in Excel?
Sort feature in Excel is useful for us Excel users. Sometimes, we want to sort a column excluding the first row, I believe that you have your own methods to solve this problem. But here I sort out some tricks for you to pick up the best way to sort data without first row in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The easiest way to sort excluding first row must be unselecting the first row.
Please select the column data from the second row data to the end of the data, or you can select the data of second row then press Ctrl + Shift + keys simultaneously to quickly select the data range from the second row to the end. Then you can sort the data excluding first row.
Tip: If the data is now continuously, the shortcuts do not work.
You also can apply Sort feature to sort the data without first row.
Select the whole column or the column range you need, and click Data > Sort, then check the option as you need and click Sort, and in the Sort dialog check My data has headers option. See screenshot:
Then you can specify the sort criteria in the Sort dialog and click OK to close the dialog.
With Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort feature, you not only can sort the data without first row, but also can do advanced sorting operations.
Select the column range you will sort without the first row, and then click the Enterprise > Advanced Sort.
In the Advance Sort dialog, check the option of My data has headers, then specify the column you will sort, sort criteria, and sort order, at last click the OK button.
If you want to sort data excluding first row and then do operations which are also excluding the first row, you can hide the first row.
Select first row and right click to show context menu, then click Hide. See screenshot:
Then after sorting or other operations have been completed, select the second row and right click to select Unhide in context menu.
Inserting a table is also a good way to sort data excluding first row.
1. Select the data range you want to sort (including first row), then click Insert > Table. See screenshot:
2. In Create Table dialog, check My data has headers option. See screenshot:
3. Click OK, then in the table you can sort the data excluding first row by clicking the arrow and select the sort order you need. See screenshot: