How to return filename without extension to cell in Excel?
In Excel, we can apply some ways to insert the workbook name with its extension in a specific cell, such as XLSX, XLSM. Sometimes, you may want to just insert the filename without the extension, how could you deal with this problem in Excel?
The below formulas can help you to get the filename excluding the extension quickly, please do with following steps:
1. Select a blank cell to output the workbook name.
2. Enter or copy the below formula into it and press the Enter key to get the filename.
- 1. Except the above formula, you can also use this formula:
- 2. In the above formulas, A1 is a variable, you can change it to any other cell reference.
Easily get workbook information (sheet name, file name/path, etc.) with an amazing tool
In this section, I introduce a handy tool – Insert Workbook Information utility of Kutools for Excel for you. This feature can help to insert workbook information (such as sheet name, workbook name, workbook path as you need) into a certain cell, header or footer.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select a cell to output the workbook information, click Kutools Plus > Workbook > Insert Workbook Information. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Workbook Information dialog box, choose one workbook information in the Information section, specify where to insert the information in the Insert at section, and then click OK.
As the below screenshot, the file name will be inserted in A2 after clicking the OK button.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!